Being one of the best-loved railways in Southeast Asia, Vietnam's North-South Railway, with two ends at Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, attracts many travelers. Lonely Planet, the world-renowned travel guide, named Vietnam National Railway the most incredible rail trip in the world. The 1,730-kilometer journey from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City offers breathtaking views of the country's diverse landscapes, making it a must-see for foreigners coming to Vietnam, the magazine said. "Some railways rattle through historic cities; others swoosh beside spectacular coastlines. A few have an epic history, and one or two are remarkable for the colorful characters onboard. The Reunification Express line, known as the North–South Railway, fulfills all these criteria," it stated. The railway is one of Southeast Asia's best-loved railways and the world's most epic overnight train journeys. It's also one of Vietnam's tourism highlights that attracts many international visitors. … [Read more...] about Vietnam’s Reunification Express named world’s most incredible rail journey: Lonely Planet
Affordable housing the panacea to housing market woes: experts
There is very high demand for social housing and in the low-end and lower-middle segments where prices are VND1 billion (US$42,370), VND2 billion and VND3 billion per unit and steady regardless of the state of the market. Tran Xuan Ngoc, CEO of property developer Nam Long Investment Corporation, said 2023 is expected to be an extremely difficult year for the market with challenges greater than during the real estate crisis of 2013, and one of the solutions is to build more housing for occupation rather than investment. Social housing, and affordable and mid-priced houses used to account for some 80% of his company’s product basket, and high-end housing for the remaining 20%, he said. It had maintained this formula for decades, but this year the ratio of high-end housing dropped to just 8%, he said. According to a report by real estate consultancy DKRA Vietnam, in Ho Chi Minh City and its vicinity, transactions in the first four months of this year were concentrated in the … [Read more...] about Affordable housing the panacea to housing market woes: experts
Why shouldn’t you use your phone on the toilet?
It is not recommended to stay in the toilet for more than 10 minutes. When using a phone, people often stay inside for up to 30 minutes, and a prolonged defecation process can cause many problems. Studies show that people who use their phones when going to the toilet have an increased chance of becoming constipated. Using the phone means sitting longer in the toilet, pushing most of the body’s weight onto the anus and affecting blood circulation – causing hemorrhoids. This can also cause blood to pool within the pelvis, causing hemorrhoids and increasing the risk of developing cancer. Lighter syndromes also include dyspepsia, constipation and diarrhea. Smartphone cases, which are typically made from rubber, are also riddled with germs and bacteria – spreading to people who use your phone. Using a phone for long period of time in general can lead to mental problems, memory loss, and trouble concentrating. To reduce the risk of bacterial contamination, phones should be left … [Read more...] about Why shouldn’t you use your phone on the toilet?
Soursop tea fever doubles fruit price
Soursop tea is a popular new drink in Ho Chi Minh City. Photo by VnExpress/ Thi Ha Each cup of soursop tea costs VND25,000-40,000 (US$1.06-1.70), depending on the cup’s size and the type of shop serving. The owner of a tea shop chain in HCMC said the chain had sold more than 3,000 cups of soursop tea over the last month. Loan, a resident in HCMC’s District 5 who regularly buys soursop to make smoothies, said she was surprised to see the fruit’s price increase twice in two months. The price surged to VND80,000 per kilogram in late May from VND50,000 in early April. The fruit cost just VND35,000 as recently as March. Hanh, a fruit trader at Xom Moi Market in the city’s Go Vap District, said: "At present, I buy soursop at the price of VND50,000 per kilogram and then sell it for VND60,000." Soursop bought by a trader in the central province of Quang Binh. Photo by Anh Tuan Thanh Mai, a trader who specializes in buying fruits from the Central Highlands region, … [Read more...] about Soursop tea fever doubles fruit price