Nguyen Thuy Linh holds her gold medal in the Vietnam Open on September 17, 2023. Photo by VnExpress/Duc Dong
In the semifinals, Linh (27th on the world ranking) had an intense win against another Japanese player, Suizu Manami, while Kurihara (156th) saved energy after her opponent quit.
However, with the home advantage and as the defending champion, Linh took the lead with smart movement and powerful baseline strikes, winning the first set 21-14 .
The second set saw Kurihara coming back on top while Linh lacked accuracy. She often hit it out of the court and quickly lost 21-11.
In the third set, Linh’s stamina was low and she couldn’t maintain a good stance against Kurihara. The Japanese player looked like settling the final when she led 16-11, while Linh was tired and had to sit down many times to catch her breath.
Nguyen Thuy Linh’s stamina runs low during the final game of Vietnam Open on September 17, 2023. Photo by VnExpress/Duc Dong
However, with her winning mentality, Linh did not give up. She stood up and scored five consecutive points to level 17-17 and then led 20-17. Although Kurihara got two points back, Linh was able to secure the 21-19 win. After the decisive point, she lay down on the court with no energy to celebrate.
Before the final, Linh said that competing constantly in recent tournaments drained her of her stamina and killed her excitement.
Linh got $7,600 for her title and accumulated more points to aim for Olympic Paris qualification next year.
The 2023 Vietnam Open is a tournament of the World Badminton Federation. It is held annually in HCMC and is the biggest badminton tournament in Vietnam. The prize pool for this year’s tournament was $100,000, higher than last year’s $75,000.
- Vietnamese coach pragmatic despite 7-0 win over Singapore
- Vietnam open ASEAN U23 Championship by 7-0 win over Singapore
- Two homers lead the LSU softball team to two wins on opening day
- Three athletes make Forbes 30 Under 30 Vietnam listing
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES FEBRUARY 15
- Malaysia down Korea 3-0 to reach Badminton Asia Team Championships final
- These two Vietnamese national basketball players take side jobs as entertainers, love to join volunteer activities
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES FEBRUARY 21
- Vietnam claim 1-0 victory against Thailand in AFF U23 Championship
- Liem beats 2021 World Cup champion in online chess tournament
- Vietnam GM off to sluggish start in online chess tournament
- Roger Federer vs Rafa Nadal live updates as Swiss legend wins epic Australian Open final
- Senior futsal player Phạm Đức Hòa guns for glory at SEA Games
- Vietnam team thrashes Singapore in opening match of 2022 AFF U23 Championship
- Vietnam trounce Singapore in opening match of 2022 AFF U23 Championship
- Impressive win for Sasikumar, Nagal bows out of ATP Challenger
- Chennai Open: Sasikumar Mukund upsets third seed Safwat, Prajnesh has it easy
- Tsitsipas shows champions mentality when reflecting on Djokovic French Open final loss
- Gian stops Saketh in first round at Bengaluru Open ATP Challenger
- Kadhe, Rawat go down fighting, Myneni-Ramkumar in doubles semifinals at Bengaluru Open ATP Challenger
Vietnamese badminton player beats Japanese opponent to win Vietnam Open have 488 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at September 18, 2023. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.