For the first time in nine editions, delegates to the Global Conference of Young Parliamentarians agreed on a declaration highlighting youth’s leadership and role in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
After four days of an energetic and fruitful agenda of activities and discussions, the 9th Global Conference of Young Parliamentarians ended successfully, with delegates adopting the first conference declaration in the event’s history.
|A panel discussion during the 9th Global Conference of Young Parliamentarians, September 14-17 in Hanoi. Photo: Thinh An/The Hanoi Times|
Some 500 delegates, including 300 from abroad, made great efforts during the conference to contribute to the event’s success, which was held at the National Convention Center in Hanoi from September 14 to 17.
The conference featured a seminar on enhancing digital capacity for the youth and three-panel discussions on digital transformation, innovation and startups, and cultural diversification for sustainable development.
For the first time in nine editions, delegates to the Global Conference of Young Parliamentarians agreed on a declaration highlighting youth’s leadership and role in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals through digital transformation and innovation.
The consensus of the young parliamentarians on the conference declaration shows their determination and commitment to realizing sustainable development activities.
Vuong Dinh Hue, Chairman of the National Assembly, highlighted the conference as a good opportunity for young parliamentarians who will take the reins of their nations and lead the world towards sustainability.
He called on IPU member parliaments to report the results of the conference to the UN Summit on Sustainable Development in New York on 18-19 September and to strengthen the leadership of young adults in sustainable development.
The President also called on IPU members to take action to implement the Declaration of the Conference to strengthen mutual cooperation, especially in supporting developing countries in their digital transformation and innovation.
Vietnam always values and respects the multilateral agreements of which it is a member, he said at last week’s event.
“Vietnam continues to adhere to a foreign policy that promotes independence and self-reliance, and we hope to build multilateral, peaceful, friendly and highly cooperative partnerships with other countries while respecting the UN Charter and international laws,” he said.
Chairman Hue said the Vietnamese National Assembly will continue strengthening cooperation with the IPU and its members to help young parliamentarians realize their goals and IPU resolutions.
“Vietnam is ready to host more IPU events and contribute to the development and work of the IPU in the future.”
Duarte Pacheco, President of the IPU, expressed his gratitude to the National Assembly and Government of Vietnam for their warm welcome and the success of the conference and thanked the delegates and participants for their inspiring ideas to improve the performance of young parliamentarians worldwide.
Amid the difficulties of sustainable development, he urged young parliamentarians worldwide to become leaders of their nations, not just ordinary politicians, to ensure the sustainability of humanity.
He expected the youth to make overall changes, promote scientific and technological developments, expand their digital capacity, and better cooperate to deal with climate change issues and protect the environment.
President Duarte committed that the IPU and the Secretariat will always support and facilitate the actions of young parliamentarians and urged youngsters to remain resilient, strong, decisive, and hardworking to fulfill their commitments and bring about remarkable achievements.
- Mysterious deaths highlight troubling lengths First Nations youth must go for an education
- The youth mantra
- The Most Costly Error in World Series History?
- Gatka, Kalaripayattu, Thang-Ta, Mallakhamba included in Khelo India Youth Games 2021
- 'Even when they died they were together': Heartbreaking story of couple who left their young children in Vietnam to set up new life in the UK - as heartbroken parents reveal pair were holding hands when they died in back of Essex lorry
- 2020 –most successful year over past five years: PM
- World Cup stunning moments: Italy shocked by South Korea in 2002
- We're failing the world's oceans. Businesses can help save them
- The day the world changed forever: 75 years ago the first atomic bomb was detonated at dawn during a top-secret US-led nuclear test in the New Mexico desert resulting in a blast so powerful, it could have been seen in outer space
- South Africa minister says Fifa payment of $10m was not World Cup bribe
- Declare state of climate emergency, UN chief urges world leaders
- Exclusive — Pompeo: Trump Confronting Radical Islamic Terrorism Made America and the World Safer
- "I want to be a role model for young people", says TCS World 10K 92-year-old runner NS Dattatreya
- Hima Das brings home India’s first ever track gold at the Worlds
- How World War II shaped 'It's a Wonderful Life'
- World Health Organization urges families to wear face masks and socially distance at Christmas to prevent deadly January coronavirus peak
- 'He feels on top of the world... and he looks fantastic': Amanda Holden confirms Simon Cowell's return to Britain's Got Talent after breaking his back falling from an electric bike
- Into a world of sustainable innovations
- #EndSARS: We can’t afford sinful silence when youth are being oppressed ― Bakare
- Youth centric marketing campaigns: Driving businesses today
9th World Conference of Young Parliamentarians: A success in empowering youth for a better world have 833 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at September 18, 2023. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.