The girl, identified by the pseudonym Xiaoling, had been diagnosed with severe anorexia nervosa and passed away after more than 20 days in a deep coma, South China Morning Post reported Wednesday.
She was trying to gain the attention and affection of a boy she had a crush on, who had reportedly fallen for a girl thinner than her.
A girl drinking water. Illustration photo by Unsplash
After going for 50 days from January to mid-March consuming nothing but water, Xiaoling fell into unconsciousness and was hospitalized.
“She is as light as a quilt. We are not sure if she can regain consciousness,” an unnamed doctor said in the video documenting Xiaoling's treatment, which went viral on social media.
The situation lasted for 20 days before her parents came to the heartbreaking decision to stop the treatment and let her go.
Chinese netizens were left questioning the country's rigorous beauty standards.
- Dad 'beat daughter, 13, to death and burnt body' after she refused to marry him
- As students battle to bag a place at oversubscribed colleges: Is it social death to let your teen skip university?
- Review: ‘Mean Girls’ Sets the Perils of Being Popular to Song
- Millions of girls starve to death in squalid orphanages in China's cruel one-baby rule
- Brute, 24, shot teen with BB gun & rubbed her face in dog poo as he kept her hostage following sick regime for years
- Family ties make Runaways the gold standard for teen superhero teams
- Little girl, 1, starved to death after killer mum left her home alone for SIX DAYS while she went on mega-bender
- Baby girl defies the odds after being born starved of oxygen as mum fought for life
- Instagram is so bad for girls (yes, I know mine is on there)
- 'A Banquet' Review: Female-Forward Horror Movie Is Starved for a Good Scare
- Fred and Rose West’s son, 40, who saw parents beat his sister to death is found dead from suspected overdose
- ‘My daughter, 11, has childhood Alzheimer’s – soon she will forget how to walk, talk & will die when she is just a teen’
- Tortured mama bear ‘strangled cub to death & then killed herself by running into a wall’ after life of hell in bile farm
- Who’s Afraid of Claire Messud?
- Aditi Iyer’s ‘Dollhouse’ is poignant yet a groovy EP
- LIST: Women, children, gender policies left behind during Duterte’s term
- Anorexia: How the eating disorder took the lives of five women
- How a patriarchal state punishes parents for not policing daughters
- Ghosts at my shoulder
- The 25 Best TV Episodes of 2016
Chinese teen starves herself to death after crush chooses thinner girl have 412 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 1, 2023. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.