The 80-year-old U.S. president fell forward, caught himself with his hands, then got up on one knee while helped by three people. He walked back to his seat unassisted.
After Biden was helped up, he pointed behind him, seeming to indicate that he had tripped over a sandbag used to hold the teleprompter in place. He mingled with other officials afterward, smiling and giving a “thumbs up” sign.
Upon returning to the White House, Biden joked to reporters, “I got sandbagged.”
The fall came after a commence address Biden delivered to a flag-waving audience, warning graduates they will enter service in an increasingly unstable world, citing challenges from Russia and China.
Biden, the oldest person to hold the Oval Office, is running for re-election in 2024. His leading Republican opponent, Donald Trump, turns 77 this month.
Trump, asked about Biden’s fall during an Iowa rally, said, “He actually fell down? Well I hope he wasn't hurt.”
Trump added, “You gotta be careful about that,” even if you have to “tip-toe down a ramp.”
In June 2020, Trump’s slow, careful descent of a ramp at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point had some observers questioning his agility. “The last thing I was going to do is 'fall' for the Fake News to have fun with,” Trump had tweeted afterward.
This February, doctors declared Biden healthy and fit for duty after a physical examination, noting the president does not drink alcohol or use tobacco and exercises “at least” five times a week.
Last June, Biden fell as he was dismounting his bicycle, after snaring a foot in a toe clip, but was uninjured.
Polls show Americans are concerned about anyone overage 75 becoming president. Data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that falls among adults 65 and older are the leading cause of fatal injury for that age group.
- How Do Democrats Recover From This?
- Biden, former congressional colleagues pay tribute to Reid, who is lying in state at U.S. Capitol
- The Bold Economic Move Joe Biden Refuses to Make
- Biden year one takeaways: Grand ambitions, humbling defeats
- Biden to huddle with Senate Dems as voting bill on brink of defeat
- Biden Will Nominate Three New Fed Officials
- Great start to the year! Biden mocked as he gets SNOWED in on Air Force One
- Exclusive: Todd Bensman -- Many of Joe Biden's Migrants Die on Trek to U.S. Border
- Biden needs to answer these 5 questions about the economy
- The Hill's 12:30 Report - Presented by Connected Commerce Council - Biden faces reporters as his agenda teeters
- Supreme Court appears poised to block Biden's vaccine and testing rules for businesses
- Biden Revives Campaign, Winning Nine States, but Sanders Takes California
- Joe Biden shied away from news conferences, interviews in Year 1
- What Joe Biden Actually Did in Ukraine
- White House touts 'key wins' of Biden's first year in office, says he had 'most impactful' legislative agenda
- Royal Family: US will 'not accept HRH President Meghan!' Duchess 'riding for fall'
- Obama, Biden honor Harry Reid as a man ‘who got things done’
- Inside Klete Keller's fall from Olympic gold to the Capitol riot
- After 1 year and many changes, Biden's immigration record frustrates opponents and allies alike
- President Biden & First Lady Survey Damage From Marshall Fire In Boulder County
Biden trips and falls during graduation ceremony, recovers quickly have 538 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 2, 2023. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.