The event was chaired by Major General Benjamin Olufemi Sawyerr, UNISFA Force Commander and Acting Head of Mission.
The highlight of the ceremony was the parade of eight units, namely the Vietnamese Engineering Company Rotation 1, the infantry battalions of India, Ghana, Pakistan, Bangladesh, units from Nigeria and Nepal, and the Chinese Helicopter Unit.
At the event, the Mission's chain-of-command and leaders laid wreath in commemoration of U.N. peacekeepers who had sacrificed their lives while implementing their duties.
Taking place in a solemn atmosphere, the ceremony demonstrated the blue berets' responsibility, solidarity, mutual support and high determination to complete U.N. peacekeeping tasks.
Given this year's theme "Peace begins with me," Major General Benjamin Olufemi Sawyerr expressed his hope that each of the participants will keep it in mind and continue to contribute to the community and everyone. "I appreciate your bravery, actions and commitment to the U.N. peacekeeping mission," the general said.
On this occasion, he conveyed the U.N. Secretary-General's message that “U.N. peacekeepers are the beating heart of our commitment to a more peaceful world. For 75 years, they have supported people and communities rocked by conflict and upheaval across the globe."
As part of the event, many interesting activities were held, including a golf tournament, a basketball tourney, and a culture – food festival.
At the culture – food festival, each unit had a booth to introduce their homeland's specialties. The food pavilion of the Vietnamese Engineering Company Rotation 1 left deep impression on visitors and peers. At the pavilion, Vietnamese female peacekeepers indulged visitors with traditional food, such as rice cakes, glutinous rice doughnut, spring rolls, sweetened pumpkin soup, coffee, lemon tea, and more.
The Vietnamese Engineering Company also took the opportunity to screen images about Vietnam, its people, and landscapes.
In the cultural exchange, the Vietnamese engineers performed two acts: a solo bamboo flute show by non-commissioned Second Lieutenant Phung Minh Hieu, and a duo singing by non-commissioned Majors Pham Van Nam and Nguyen Thi Thanh Tam.
The International Day of U.N. Peacekeepers honors peacekeepers' great contribution to international peace and security. Since 1948, more than 2 million peacekeepers have been deployed to 71 U.N. peacekeeping missions worldwide, helping the host countries in transition from war to peace. Currently, over 87,000 U.N. peacekeepers from 125 countries are working at 12 U.N. peacekeeping missions.
Translated by Mai Huong
- Vietnamese “blue berets” conduct charity event in South Sudan
- Vietnamese ‘blue berets’ plant trees in South Sudan
- UN official praises Indian peacekeepers for thwarting attack in Congo
- Mournful Camilla looks on as she steps out with Charles for poignant event in Canada
- TikTok baker creates "amazing" lifesize cake of the queen to mark jubilee
- Mark Owen looks unrecognisable as Take That appear at Cannes Film Festival
- Prince Charles dons ceremonial robes and medals to attend the Order of the Bath service at Westminster Abbey
- Queen Elizabeth news – Disgraced Prince Andrew sees Her Maj EVERY DAY trying to make amends for sex scandals’
- Jan Kounen, Kate Ogborn, Lisa Marie Russo Among Work-in-Progress Pitches at Cannes Animation Day
- Meghan Markle news – ‘Possessive’ Duchess fuels concern after being spotted ‘smothering’ Prince Harry at major event
- Queen's Platinum Jubilee events in full: Our guide to all the celebrations near you
- Prince Andrew will appear alongside the Queen for Garter Day at Windsor Castle as the Duke returns to the royal spotlight
- Memorial Day 2022 In Pinellas County: Events Planned
- Harry and Meghan WILL attend Trooping the Colour as Prince Charles stands in for Queen
- How day one of the Rebekah Vardy v Coleen Rooney libel trial played out at the High Court
- Big day Ma'am! Queen spotted for first time during Jubilee as she's whisked to balcony
- PM ends US trip with prospects of enhanced relations
- Royal Family LIVE: ‘Keeping Up with Sussexes!’ Meghan & Harry 'set for Netflix docuseries'
- Vietnam's patriotic love of sports
- Royal Family LIVE: Harry and Meghan face Netflix pressure to break Queen's 'ring of steel'
Vietnamese blue berets attend event marking int’l day of U.N. peacekeepers have 650 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at July 4, 2023. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.