Hanoi (VNA) – With lights turned off for one hour starting 8:30 pm on March 25 in response to the 2023 Earth Hour campaign, Vietnam saved 298,000 kWh of electricity equivalent to about 555.6 million VND (23,617 USD), according to the Vietnam Electricity ( EVN )'s National Load Dispatch Center.
Since the nation first joined the campaign in 2009, the average annual power output saved in the one hour was estimated at about 400,000 kWh. Last year, the figure was 309,000 kWh.
Responding to this year's edition themed “Save electricity – Become a habit”, myriad activities took place nationwide on the day with the participation of people from all walks of life.
In Hanoi, the response event was organised by the municipal Department of Industry and Trade at the August Revolution Square. The capital turned off public decorations, billboards, and unnecessary electrical equipment, notably at renowned downtown destinations such as areas around the Hoan Kiem Lake, and the Hanoi Opera House.
Meanwhile, the Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union (HCYU)'s chapter in Ho Chi Minh City joined the EVN's HCM City Power Corporation to run a turning-off-the-light event, which was broadcast live and gathered close to 500 young volunteers.
In the Mekong Delta city of Can Tho, an event, co-organised by the municipal chapters of the HCYU and EVN power corporation, called for people's response to the campaign and protection of the environment. On the occasion, 1,300 trees were planted in addition to other energy saving activities. The municipal chapters of the two agencies in the Mekong Delta province of Ben Tre also mounted a programme to spread the message of “Save electricity – Become a habit”.
In the central province of Thua Thien-Hue, hundreds of locals joined the local response activity that aimed to save power and promoted efforts for a future without plastic waste./.
- Vietnam impressing with GDP growth
- Money saving tips to cut winter energy bills
- Struggling households told not to turn off common kitchen appliance to save money
- The 23 Most Anticipated Luxury Hotel Openings For 2023
- Travel offers of the week: Save $500 on an Australian air safari
- Seven hours of the day you should be drying your hair to save hundreds
- I thought my electric radiator would save money on my heating – the result surprised me
- The 7 hours of the day you should be charging your phone to save money - 'it's cheaper!'
- Vietnam's garment export value up in nine months
- I’m a money-saving whizz – here’s how to cut short your washing to save you time and cash
- 2023 Cadillac Lyriq Starts at $62,990, Has of 312 Miles of Range
- Why are English language centers facing manpower shortages after the pandemic in Vietnam?
- Vietnam Airlines flight makes emergency landing to save German passenger
- Vietnam should plan for 2026 World Cup now: English coach
- ‘Smart swaps’ in the home could help Britons save up to £750 on energy bills each year
- Dai-ichi Life Vietnam launches community project
- Top 10 most welcoming cities in Vietnam voted by global travelers
- Vietnam Airlines plane makes emergency landing to save German passenger
- Vietnam Airlines plane turns back to HCMC to save passenger
- US Assistant Secretary of State congratulates Vietnam on election to UNHRC
Vietnam saves 298,000 kWh during Earth Hour 2023 have 555 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at March 26, 2023. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.