Shares climbed for a second day as good performace of global stock markets prior to the Fed's announcement of a rate hike supported local investors' psychology.
The VN-Index on the Ho Chi Minh Stock Exchange increased by 0.79 per cent to close Wednesday at 1,040.54 points. It rose nearly 1 per cent in the previous session.
The market breadth was positive with 203 stocks gaining, 170 losing while the other 128 closed flat.
Although the trading was cautious, increasing liquidity in buying force at high prices led to an improvement in stock prices, especially in the banking and real estate industries.
Nearly 459 million shares worth VND8.7 trillion (US$369 million) were traded, down 3 per cent in volume but up 4 per cent in value compared to Tuesday's level.
Property and banking stocks led the market growth with average growth of 1.5 per cent each, tracked by vietstock.vn.
Seven of the top 10 shares lifting the VN-Index came from these two groups. They included Vietcombank (VCB), Vietnam Prosperity Bank (VPB), BIDV (BID), Vietinbank (CTG), Eximbank (EIB), Ho Chi Minh Development Bank (HDB) and Vinhomes (VHM) with growth of between 0.5 per cent and 5 per cent each.
On the Ha Noi Stock Exchange, the HNX-Index edged up 0.42 per cent to end at 203.96 points. The northern bourse's index increased 0.74 per cent on Tuesday.
More than 50 million shares worth VND929 billion were exchanged, slightly lower than the previous session.
"The market may continue to recover in the next session to re-explore the resistance zone of 1,040 – 1,045 points for the VN-Index. With the support signal not yet clear, it is still necessary to consider the possibility that the market will retreat at this area and step back," said Phuong Nguyen, a market analyst at Viet Dragon Securities Co, in a note.
Phuong suggested investors be cautious and observe the supply and demand movements at the resistance zone, and at the same time can take advantage of the technical recovery of the market to restructure the portfolio in the direction of minimising risks.
Foreign traders continue to buy Vietnamese stocks. They were responsible for a total net buy value of more than VND195 billion shares on both exchanges, an increase of 67 per cent compared to their net buy value on Tuesday. — VNS
- Kate Middleton channels Princess Diana for a second day running as she dons a blue kurta and scarf in Pakistan - a look reminiscent of her late mother in-law's 1997 outfit in Lahore
- Charlie Hunnam is all smiles as he walks TIFF red carpet for second day running at Jungleland premiere
- CN Rail dips as workers' strike enters second day, slows factory output
- Bharti Airtel Shares Rally 7% in Second Day of Gains After Pulling Out from Purchase of RCom Assets
- Group that hacked Anthem shared weaponized 0-days with rival attackers
- Zee stake sale removes pledge overhang; shares gain 25% in 3 days
- Uber had an abysmal second day of trading
- Airtel, Vodafone Idea fall for second day; here’s what experts say
- 'Frozen 2' box office collection Day 2: The adventure of Elsa and Anna doubled its collections on the second day
- Airbus dominates second day of Dubai show as Boeing wins MAX order
- Sensex falls for second day, Nifty below 11,950; IT stocks weigh
- TCS shares gain nearly 2%, m-cap rises by Rs 12,099 crore
- Egyptians queue on second day of vote in referendum on new constitution
- Strictly's Dianne Buswell looks stylish in tight blue leggings as she heads to the studio with partner Dev Griffin for the second day of rehearsals
- Student of the Year 2 box office day 2: Tiger Shroff’s film collects Rs 26 cr, may face challenge from IPL final on Sunday
- Asian shares up from three-week lows, but trade uncertainty nags
- Asian shares up from 3-week lows, but trade uncertainty nags
- Pledged share resolution key trigger for Zee stock
- India vs Bangladesh, Pink Ball Test, Day 3 Highlights: India beat Bangladesh by an innings and 46 runs to clinch series 2-0
- Japanese stocks gain on hopes for truce in US-China trade row
Shares gain for second day but caution persists have 662 words, post on bizhub.vn at March 23, 2023. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.