An article posted on the web said people can argue long into the night about the world’s best soup. Maybe it’s ramen, laksa, bouillabaisse or caldo verde or even Moroccan bessara. What people can’t argue, however, is that Vietnam’s most famous soup, the pho, is in the conversation.
It affirmed pho is a fragrant, subtly powerful dish that’s even greater than the sum of its considerable parts. Its broth is a gently simmered stock of beef bones with onion, ginger and spices; it arrives pooled around banh pho, or flat rice noodles, and rare beef slices, topped with bean sprouts, fresh herbs, lemon and chilli. The aroma is transcendent. The taste is perfection.
Pho was developed in the North of the country during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The pho obsession spread to the South in the 1950s, when the country was divided and millions of north Vietnamese brought their soup recipe with them to the South.
December 12 has been marked as the Day of Pho in celebration of the nation’s most well-known dish.
Earlier, the prestige food website TasteAltas included pho among the world's 100 most popular dishes.
- The hidden cost of coronavirus: How more than $2billion could be wiped off Australia's struggling economy and 20,000 people could lose their jobs
- Sweden becomes latest country to be struck down by the killer coronavirus as Russia announces two cases with almost 10,000 now infected across the world
- How trumped-up charges led Thai police to raid expat bridge club
- China extends holiday to contain virus as death toll rises to 80
- China extends Lunar New Year holiday to contain coronavirus as death toll rises
- Launching a fruitful and bright decade
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES FEB. 1
- A scenic spin through China's verdant hills
- Fears of new virus trigger anti-China sentiment worldwide
- Coronavirus declared a global emergency by WHO
- Eight Australians are in urgent quarantine amid fears coronavirus 'will infect 350,000 in Wuhan alone' as China locks down fourteen cities and races to build 1,000 bed hospital in just FIVE DAYS
- Measures to stop the spread of ‘pandemic’ coronavirus outbreak
- The Observer's books of the year
- All the projects coming to HBO Max, WarnerMedia's upcoming streaming service
- Brexit: What travelers need to know
- Coronavirus deaths top 200, WHO declares emergency: Everything we know
- China cancels its Lunar New Year celebrations, locks down FOURTEEN cities, shuts part of the Great Wall and Shanghai Disneyland in desperate bid to contain killer coronavirus
- Coronavirus: WHO declares global health emergency
- Chinese face a racist backlash across the globe as they are banned from restaurants and asked to leave hotels amid panic of coronavirus spreading
- Woman in Chicago becomes SECOND confirmed case of coronavirus in the US after she returned from Wuhan 11 DAYS ago - as 63 people with symptoms are tested nationwide including four in New York
Vietnam's pho the greatest culinary gift to the world: Australia’s tourism website have 456 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at February 5, 2023. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.