Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has instructed relevant agencies to facilitate visitors with travel and ensure their safety, spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri told a briefing.
Initially, the government predicted more than 20 million foreign tourists this year and later increased that to 28 million, he said.
“Most recently, the prime minister is confident that tourist numbers will even exceed 30 million,” Anucha said.
The latest projection follows China’s border reopening and the return of Chinese tourists.
Thailand now expects at least 7 to 8 million Chinese visitors this year, up from a previous forecast of at least 5 million, Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, a government body, told Reuters.
“Earlier, we didn’t think China would also allow group tours…now we are seeing at least 7 to 8 million people,” he said.
The new forecast would be more than half the 11 million Chinese visitors recorded in pre-pandemic 2019.
Up until February 2 of this year, Thailand received 99,429 Chinese tourists, Yuthasak said.
Overall foreign tourist arrivals were around 2.1 million in January, he added.
In 2022, Thailand beat its tourism target with 11.15 million foreign visitors, a surge from just about 428,000 the previous year when broad pandemic-related travel curbs were in place.
Pre-pandemic 2019 saw a record of nearly 40 million foreign tourists, who spent 1.91 trillion baht ($56.78 billion).
- Kirkwall and Korea: How games can be better tourist destinations
- Sega Sells 4.65 Million Copies of its Games as Persona 5 Shows “Strong” Sales in First Half of Fiscal Year
- Civilization 6 guide, tips and tricks - how to lead your civilization to glory
- ‘Here’ comes Nokia’s new map service – and it looks a lot like Bing’s
- Top X List: A Night at the GotGame MultiPlex
- OPINION Managing Knowledge Globally: Lessons Learned on the Great Barrier Reef
- Gifts of Holidays Past: How Nintendo 64 brought my mom and I together
- Saturday Crapshoot: Mean City: Learn English Or DIE!
- Let's Reboot... No One Lives Forever
- Civilization 6 strategies - How to master the early game, mid-game and late game phases
- New Google Feature Points Out Holes in China's Firewall
- IPAD APP REVIEW Google Translate's No Babel Fish, but It's Cheaper Than a Personal Interpreter
- Silicon Valley Firms Lock Arms Against Trump Immigration Order
- An Giang targets organic agriculture development
- Inside the creative maker spaces proving China can do more than manufacture
- Sega Announces Positive Results: Expects Expansion of Console Market; “Large” PC Market in the West
- An Australian plays Australia in Civilization 6
- Gamasutra's Best of 2013: Leigh Alexander's Top 5 Video Games
- EU Edges Toward Mobile Roaming Cap
- Review: Go! Go! Nippon! 2015
Thai PM sees over 30M foreign tourists this year have 396 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at February 8, 2023. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.