CAIRO — Egyptologists have uncovered a Pharaonic tomb near the capital Cairo containing what may be the oldest and "most complete" mummy yet to be discovered in the country, the excavation team leader said on Thursday.
The 4,300-year-old mummy was found at the bottom of a 15-meter shaft in a recently uncovered group of fifth and sixth dynasty tombs near the Step Pyramid at Saqqara, Zahi Hawass, director of the team, told reporters.
The mummy, of a man named Hekashepes, was in a limestone sarcophagus that had been sealed in mortar.
"This mummy may be the oldest and most complete mummy found in Egypt to date," Hawass, one of Egypt's former ministers of antiquities, said in a statement.
People work at the site after the announcement of the discovery of 4,300-year-old sealed tombs in Egypt's Saqqara necropolis, in Giza, Egypt, January 26, 2023. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany
Among other tombs found was one belonging to Khnumdjedef, an inspector of officials, a supervisor of nobles and a priest during the reign of Unas, last pharaoh of the fifth dynasty. It was decorated with scenes of daily life.
Another tomb belonged to Meri, "keeper of the secrets and assistant to the great leader of the palace".
Numerous statues were found among the tombs, including one representing a man and his wife and several servants, the statement said.
Archaeologists find 800-year old mummy in Peru
Egypt 'digitally unwraps' mummy of famed pharaoh
- Egypt unearths 'world's oldest' mass-production brewery
- Egyptian pharaoh was executed on the battlefield, mummy reveals
- Egypt: Archaeologists find ancient high-production brewery
- An ancient case of mistaken identity? Egyptian mummy is revealed NOT to be the noblewoman named on the 3,000-year-old coffin
- World's oldest pet dog? Remains of a domesticated canine that 'lived alongside humans' up to 20,000 years ago are unearthed in Italy
- Oldest known mummification how-to guide reveals gruesome embalming details
- Oldest known pet cemetery found in Egypt
- World's 'oldest brewery' uncovered at ancient Egyptian city of Abydos
- Egypt unearths ‘world’s oldest’ mass-production brewery
- Fancy a Pint? Archaeologists Discover 'World's Oldest Beer Factory' in Egypt
- Bones with names: Long-dead bodies archaeologists have identified
- Egyptian royal mummy shows pharaoh wasn’t assassinated—he was executed
- World's oldest 'pet cemetery' discovered in ancient Egypt
- World’s only Ancient Egyptian ‘mud mummy’ was actually poor person ‘placed in posh coffin’ in bizarre scam
- Ruins of ancient church and temple discovered in Egypt
- Ancient Egyptian mummy found buried with GOLDEN tongue ‘so they can speak to god of death’
- Graves of nearly 600 cats and dogs in ancient Egypt may be world’s oldest pet cemetery
- Early Christian monks' quarters and churches found in Egypt
- Ancient papyrus holds the world’s oldest guide to mummification
- The dangerous work of archaeologists in conflict zones
Archaeologist hails possibly ‘oldest’ mummy yet found in Egypt have 466 words, post on newsinfo.inquirer.net at January 27, 2023. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.