Hanoi (VNA) – Vietnamese Vice President Vo Thi Anh Xuan and her visiting Nigerian counterpart Yemi Osinbajo agreed on specific orientations to deepen cooperation between the two countries in an effective manner, during their talks in Hanoi on December 5.
Xuan noted that Osinbajo's official visit to Vietnam, from December 5-7 following their phone talks in September 2021, is of the highest level to the Southeast Asian nation by Nigerian leaders since 2005.
The Vietnamese Vice President expressed her belief that the trip will contribute to consolidating the fine relations between the two countries.
Xuan congratulated Nigeria on its achievements in political stability, socio-economic development and COVID-19 prevention and control, as well as its rising position in the region and the world, and expressed her belief that the African nation will reap more attainments in the time ahead to be included in the Group of 20 ( G20 ).
Osinbajo highly valued Vietnam's comprehensive achievements in the cause of reform, integration and development, and its rising position at regional and multilateral forums.
Vietnam will effectively contribute to activities of the United Nations in peace building and development, he believed.
The two sides lauded active developments in the bilateral ties, even amid the COVDI-19 pandemic, in politics-diplomacy, and trade and investment, stressing that the two countries have strived to raise their bilateral trade to over 500 million USD and become important trade partners of each other in respective regions.
They reiterated the importance of delegation exchanges and meetings via all channels of governments, legislatures, ministries, agencies and localities, as well as people-to-people exchanges to enhancing political trust and creating a new impulse for the economic links.
The two sides consented to maintain their close coordination and mutual support at multilateral forums, especially the United Nations, and displayed their readiness to work as bridges to help the other establish relations with regional organisations such as the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
Both affirmed their resolve to enhance cooperation in economy and make the bilateral trade match the potential of the two countries.
Xuan suggested Nigeria facilitate the market access of Vietnamese agricultural and aquatic products and consumer goods.
Host and guest shared the view on the significance of agricultural development to ensuring national and global food security, and that ample room remains for the two countries to boost cooperation in this field in either the bilateral or trilateral models.
Both expressed their hope for stronger collaboration in investment, digital economy, green transformation, energy, and national defence and security.
They welcomed the signing of a memorandum of understanding on defence cooperation within the framework of the visit, and concurred to coordinate to accelerate the ratification and implementation of the signed cooperation documents.
They will also work to push ahead with the negotiations and signing of agreements on investment encouragement and protection and double taxation avoidance, among others, in order to consolidate the legal framework for the bilateral economic ties.
The officials also compared notes on regional and international issues of shared concern, saying regional and global issues should be settled by peaceful measures in accordance with internal law.
Vice President Osinbajo used the occasion to invite his Vietnamese counterpart to pay an official visit to Nigeria, and Xuan suggested the two countries' foreign ministries to arrange the trip at an appropriate time./.
- Vietnam, Denmark seek ways to intensify economic, trade ties
- Vietnam seeks revision of EAEU FTA to boost trade with Kazakhstan
- Huge potential for cooperation between Vietnam and EU
- Measures sought to attract resources for green, sustainable development
- Greece hails Vietnam’s role in region
- [Vietnam-US relations] Vietnam helps shape US-ASEAN Strategic Partnership: Carl Thayer
- Seminar seeks ways to optimize EU-Vietnam FTA
- Vietnam - S.Korea trade likely reaches $100bn this year: Consul General
- Festival for children of Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia 2022 opens in HCMC
- Hanoi VCFA eyes stronger Vietnam-Cambodia ties
- Hanoi commits to taking relations with Vientiane to new height
- HCM City seeks to boost technology transfer from universities
- Vietnam, Qatar mutually waive visas for diplomatic, official passport holders
- PetroVietnam rolls out measures to facilitate energy transition
- Vietnam's economy recovers strongly amid global instability: ADB
- Vietnam's THACO and philosophy of no surrender
- Environment sector asked to harmonise economic development-environmental protection relations
- Vietnam attends 10th Moscow Conference on International Security
- S.Korea businesses seek investment opportunities in Hanoi
- Programme links strength of Vietnam’s tourism
Vietnam, Nigeria seek measures to deepen relations have 741 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at December 5, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.