The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) reported that IUU fishing has been reeled in since the European Commission issued a "yellow card" warning five years ago.
However, problems and shortcomings remain, regarding which an EC delegation gave recommendations on during their third inspection recently, MARD noted, adding that the EC also highly valued Vietnam's strong political resolve, especially the drastic directions delivered by the Government and the PM.
At the meeting, ministries, sectors and localities pointed out causes and obstacles, looked into international experience, and proposed solutions to prevent IUU fishing.
Applauding their recent efforts, PM Pham Minh Chinh said many problems still exist and haven't been addressed quickly enough.
He noted those problems are caused by not only people's limited awareness but also a lack of sense of responsibility among some organisations and individuals. This sluggish progress is due to a lack of strong action, attention, inspection and supervision over the issue, as well as long-term solutions, including ensuring livelihoods for fishermen.
“The fight against IUU fishing must be carried out not for the sake of formality but for the sake of the people and Vietnam's image as a responsible member of the international community in implementing international commitments, including marine environment protection,” he emphasized.
PM Pham Minh Chinh also asked for developing a 180-day action plan to carry out the EC's recommendations, devising a long-term strategy to prevent IUU fishing, reviewing sea areas and territorial waters, re-assessing fishing and aquaculture activities, and creating sustainable livelihoods for people.
- One in FIFTY people now have COVID Boris reveals as UK records another 830 deaths and 60,916 cases - but PM says 1.3million have now been vaccinated and pledges UK CAN get jabs to most vulnerable by mid-February despite fears he is 'over-promising'
- Strong efforts help Vietnam stay firm amidst COVID-19
- Covid class war: Now Boris Johnson hints secondary pupils won't return until FEBRUARY as unions unite to keep schools SHUT after hundreds of primary heads defied PM by cancelling first day of new term
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 5
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 10
- Trump calls his Capitol mob 'GREAT PATRIOTS' and claims they rioted because election was 'viciously stolen' - then tells them 'Go home with love. Remember this day forever!' as Twitter locks his account for 12 hours
- Brexhausted! Four Years of Brexit Blunders, Part Three: First Bedlam, Then Betrayal
- Is Matt Hancock backing off mid-February vaccine target ALREADY? Tory MPs accuse Health Secretary of downplaying chances of success and leaving himself 'plenty of wriggle room' - as one gives verdict 'they've not a hope in hell'
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 6
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 4
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 1
- The best Nintendo Switch games for 2021
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 8
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 4
- VIETNAM NEWS DECEMBER 31
- Democrat Raphael Warnock wins Georgia Senate runoff and second race sees Ossoff take the lead by 12,000 votes - but Republican Kelly Loeffler REFUSES to concede and frantic Donald Trump tweets string of fraud claims
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JANUARY 7
- Fury as foreign supertrawlers can still plunder British waters despite Brexit deal because the government cannot work out how to ban them
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS DECEMBER 29
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 7
PM requests combined efforts to combat IUU fishing have 527 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at January 12, 2023. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.