Hanoi (VNA) – Vietnamese athletes will compete in the Asian Weightlifting Championships 2022 which began yesterday in Manama, Bahrain.
The Vietnamese team has seven competitors, including the 31st SEA Games champions. They will begin the competition on October 8 in the Bahrain Conference Centre at the Crowne Plaza Hotel.
Nguyen Huy Hung, head of the Weightlifting Department of the Vietnam Sports Administration, said the team includes both veterans and newcomers but are the best lifters in their weight classes.
He said all athletes are set to grab their best results in Bahrain because it is an important warm-up event for Vietnamese athletes ahead of the world championships in two months.
The world championship will count towards qualification for the 2024 Paris Olympics.
Two athletes with high medal hopes are Hoang Thi Duyen in the women’s 59kg category and Lai Gia Thanh in the men’s 61kg class.
Duyen, taking part in the Asian tournament for the sixth time, was the only athlete to win medals, two bronzes, for Vietnam in last year’s tournament in Uzbekistan.
The Tokyo Olympian successfully defended her title at the 31st Games in May in Hanoi.
Thanh was one of the most successful Vietnamese lifters at the Game, winning gold and setting two new records.
Other athletes include Pham Thi Hong Thanh, SEA Games champion in women’s 64kg class, Khong My Phuong, SEA Games silver holder in the women’s 45kg; and three young athletes Nguyen Tran Anh Tuan (men’s 55kg), Quang Thi Tam (women’s 59kg) and Tran Thi My Dung (women’s 49kg).
Also, in this competition, national champion Trinh Van Vinh will participate in the men’s 61kg category. Vinh is still under a four-year world ban because of doping violations.
As he will be free to compete from next March, the coaching board wanted the athlete to join in competitions and improve his ability gradually./.
- Asian Games: Kim Hyo Sim Topples Olympic Medallist To Win Frosty North Korean Weightlifting Duel
- Mirabai Chanu Will Not Participate In Asian Games 2018, Confirms IWF General Secretary
- Mirabai Chanu Eyes Olympic Berth At World Weightlifting Championship
- Mirabai Chanu Wins Gold At Commonwealth Senior Weightlifting Championship
- Commonwealth Games 2018: Weightlifter Sanjita Chanu Clinches India's Second Gold
- World Weightlifting Championships: Jhilli Dalabehera Crashes Out Of The Competition
- World Weightlifting Championships: Mirabai Chanu Betters Her National Record But Fails To Win Medal
- Asian Games 2018 Highlights Day 7: Tajinderpal Singh Toor Wins Shot Put Gold; 3 Bronze In Squash
- Asian Games 2018 Highlights Day 6: Gold In Rowing, Tennis; Silver For Women's Kabaddi Team
- Asian Games 2018, Medal Tally, Day 7: Tajinderpal Singh Toor Clinches Shot Put Gold, Squash Adds Three Bronze Medals
- Youth Olympics: Jeremy Lalrinnunga, Mizo Weightlifting Sensation, Claims India's First Gold
- Asian Games 2018: Bajrang Punia Had Promised Gold Medal To Yogeshwar Dutt
- Asian Games 2018: Hima Das, Muhammed Anas Clinch Silver Medals In 400M Finals
- Asian Games: Wrestler Sushil Kumar Eliminated After Shock Defeat In Qualification Round
- Two Asian Games Silvers Biggest Thing In My Life, Says Dutee Chand
- Asian Games 2018: Wrestler Bajrang Punia Wins Gold In Men's 65kg
- Asian Games Marathon Winner Accused Of Pushing Rival
- Commonwealth Games 2018, Day 2, Highlights: Indian Weightlifters Shine Again, Sanjita Chanu Wins Gold While Deepak Lather Claims Bronze
- Golden Comeback But Mirabai Chanu In Constant Battle With Fear Of Injury
- Virat Kohli Recommended For Khel Ratna; Neeraj Chopra, Hima Das Among Others Named For Arjuna Award
Weightlifters to vie for Asian medals in Bahrain have 567 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at October 7, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.