Delivering a speech at a ceremony hosted by the Vietnamese Embassy in Ottawa to mark the fifth anniversary of the Vietnam – Canada Comprehensive Partnership, the diplomat further said official visits, online and offline meetings, and phone talks between the two governments' leaders and minsters have provided a strong foundation for the two countries to further expand bilateral ties and reinforce common priorities.
He said the Vietnam – Canada economic linkage, as a driver of the Comprehensive Partnership, should be further stepped up by making the most of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for the Trans-Pacific Progress (CPTPP).
The diplomat urged the two sides to push for a sustainable and reliable supply chain and advance cooperation in science, technology, innovation, green energy, climate change and environment, saying these areas will help the two nations sustain economic security.
Canadian Foreign Minister Melanie Joly, for her part, said Canada wishes to forge a long-term relation with Vietnam, and that the Southeast Asian country plays a critical role in Canada's Indo-Pacific Strategy, given that they boast a close people-to-people exchange and both are members of the Francophone community.
Canada looks forward to Vietnam's support to become an ASEAN strategic partner, she noted, adding that last year, ASEAN was Canada's fourth largest trade partner with bilateral goods exchange reaching USD 25 billion.
Vietnam and Canada established a Comprehensive Partnership in 2017 during an official visit of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to Vietnam. Since then, the two-way trade has surged by 72.7% and the number of Vietnamese students in Canada has been on a rise.
Canada has invested CAD 1.2 billion (USD 0.8 billion) in 101 projects in Vietnam within their development cooperation.
The two countries will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of their diplomatic relations next year.
- Canada Urges World Nations to Preserve Pillars of Global Trade
- Canada Urges Nations to Preserve Pillars of Global Trade
- Japan eyes aircraft carriers to counter North Korea, China
- India eyeing Boeing's Super Hornet to boost its air force
- While Corbyn and his cronies have taken the summer off, the Government has been busy paving the way for Brexit
- Mum slapped with £80 fine for littering after her kids fed pigeons crumbs from their sausage rolls
- APEC summit: Free trade in Asia in the age of protectionism
- Eleven nations
- Pacific Rim countries sign sweeping free trade agreement
- Could Britain join the TPP after Brexit?
- Brexit trade deals: Will the UK fill the TPP gap left by the US?
- Pacific Rim states agree on 'core elements' of TPP trade deal, without US
- Final version of Trans-Pacific trade deal released, rules pushed by U.S. on ice
- Iain Macwhirter: Brexit’s petulant children have taken the country to the cliff’s edge
- APEC: Donald Trump stresses ties with Asia-Pacific, but calls for 'better' trade deals
- Why is the United States interested in the 'Indo-Pacific'?
- How many Madeleine McCann ‘sightings’ around the world have there been and were any taken seriously?
- Celebrity deaths in 2017: Famous faces gone too soon from Keith Barron to Hugh Hefner
- Celebrity deaths in 2017: Famous faces gone too soon including David Cassidy and Rodney Bewes
- Celebrity deaths in 2017: Famous faces gone too soon including Keith Chegwin and David Cassidy
Vietnam, Canada eye stronger comprehensive partnership have 517 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at November 12, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.