Charity meals at hospitals partly help poor patients in Hanoi overcome difficulties.
On a Sunday in September, at a house in alley No. 13 Minh Khai Street in Hai Ba Trung District, the fire was kindled in the kitchen of the "Hanoi 5,000-Dong Meal" club as usual.
Yet the commemoration of over 300 weeks of volunteer cooking was special with a small tea table and a birthday cake to celebrate the 10th anniversary, as well as a cozy, heart-touching reunion between the generations of volunteers who have been part of the club.
10 years – a heart-warming journey
|Members of the "Hanoi 5,000-Dong Meal" Club hand over free lunch to poor patients at Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi. Photo: Hanoi 5,000-Dong Meal Club|
It was the first reunion between the generations of volunteers who have been with the "Hanoi 5,000-Dong Meal" club for different periods. Meeting again with Tran Le, owner of Hung Phuong Restaurant in Hoang Mai District, Bui Quang Long – the club founder and leader – was touched since Le had supported the club in the early days full of hardship.
|A free meal. Photo: Hanoi 5,000-Dong Meal Club|
After the first few weeks, "Hanoi 5,000-Dong Meal" began to receive support from many benefactors, obtaining more funds to continue distributing hundreds of food rations on weekends.
At first, the group distributed food to poor workers around Mai Dong Bridge. Then they went to hospitals in Hanoi to support needy patients' families.
Week after week, the group gives out about 200 food packages to patients and their families every Sunday. During ten years with 288 weeks of making meals on Sundays, along with the "Exam-Season Support" campaign or during the complicated developments of the Covid-19 pandemic, more than 72,000 food rations have been handed out, Long estimated. Throughout that journey, the group has drawn the support of many benefactors and volunteers.
Continuing the young volunteer hearts
Bui Quang Long said that about five generations of volunteers had participated alternately in maintaining the kitchen for the past ten years.
The group has also called for and got the support of dozens of non-permanent members, most of whom are students, each assuming one link in the food delivery chain, from food processing, cooking, and packaging to transportation and distribution at hospital gates.
Sharing their feelings about "Hanoi 5,000-Dong Meals", Luong Thuy Hien, Phung Thu Phuong, Nguyen Thi Huong, Nguyen Thanh Tung, and hundreds of volunteers said they are all touched and proud.
"We are fortunate that many happy and sad memories in our youth are attached to a meaningful volunteer journey. Contributing to sharing difficulties with the people helps us live a more meaningful life day by day", said Nguyen Thi Anh Tho, a club volunteer.
|Members of the club are preparing free lunches for poor patients in Hanoi. Photo: Hanoi 5,000-Dong Meal Club|
Bui Van Toan, a patient in Bach Mai Hospital, said he felt very touched when he bought delicious rice dishes for only VND5,000.
"My lunch features grilled pork, braised tofu with tomato, and boiled vegetables. They are very palatable and suitable for patients far from home and with a limited medical budget like us," he said.
In 2021, when the Covid-19 pandemic broke out, Hanoi's Vietnam Youth Federation supported the club in organizing the "Zero Dong Canteen" program, offering meals to the patients and workers affected by the pandemic.
- As My Name Is Khan clocks 10 years, Karan Johar and Kajol pen heartfelt messages
- Couple give up their jobs and home to go on 10-YEAR holiday – and still earn a six-figure salary
- The Gosselins' Marriage Ended 10 Years Ago: How Kate Overcame the Shocking Split
- 10-Year-Old Boy with Inoperable Brain Tumor Gets Special Surprise for Bucket List
- British University Vietnam celebrates its 10-year anniversary
- Karan Johar Shares Special Video Celebrating 10 Years of My Name is Khan
- Kim Kardashian Says She Wants to 'Give Up Being Kim K' in 10 Years and Focus on Prison Reform
- Couple earn six-figure salary while touring the world after they sold their £650,000 Surrey home and cars and embarked on 10-year, 31-country backpacking holiday
- Malaysia’s economic growth falls to 10-year low
- From selfies to belfies and everything in between, 10 years of troubling Instagram body type fads
- Kajol shares pics from My Name Is Khan as film turns 10: ‘It will always be one of my most fav memories’
- Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, Karan Johar Reminisce My Name Is Khan On Its Ten Year Anniversary
- Chocolate factory worker, 33, who ate FOUR McDonald's meals for breakfast shed 11st after realising he was too big to bend down and tie his shoelaces
- Hopes for economic boon as Hanoi nears F1 starting line
- Holly Willoughby 'has been supporting Phillip Schofield's wife Steph through her husband's coming out journey'... and the secret 'has been a weight on her shoulders too'
- Cat Linh – Ha Dong railway to be operational in Q4
- Hanoi launches blood donation drive
- Hanoi to build 70 more air monitoring stations this year
- Tourist sites in Hanoi reopened after one-day closure due to epidemic
- Hanoi metro trial run postponed on Chinese experts’ inability to return
The 10-year journey of “Hanoi 5,000-Dong Meal” have 841 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at October 4, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.