Hanoi (VNA) – The Vietnamese economy is likely to grow 10% year on year in the third quarter of this year, driven by strong domestic consumption, according to Michael Kokalari, chief economist at VinaCapital, one of the country's leading investment management and real estate development companies.
Earnings growth are expected to exceed 20% this year, Kokalari said in a report entitled "The divergence between Vietnam's strong economy & weak stock market," which outlines expectation for Vietnam's economy in the last five months of 2022. It is attributed to the country's solid economic performance, he added.
Vietnam's real retail sales, excluding the impact of inflation, grew by 7.9% year-on-year in the first six months of 2022. This figure surged to 11.9% in the seven months, which is far above the 7% year-on-year growth that VinaCapital had previously been forecasting for 2022.
"This is important because we are often asked now whether the ongoing slowdown in the US economy – which is Vietnam's biggest export market – will weigh on Vietnam's economic growth," Kokalari said.
A slowing US economy is likely to temper Vietnam's export and economic growth, however, the impact of that slowdown will be offset by the country's strong domestic economy, he said.
The revenues and earnings of companies listed on Vietnam's stock market are primarily driven by the domestic economy, which is why VinaCapital expects the stock market to benefit from the unexpectedly strong domestic growth.
According to Kokalari, Vietnam's stock market rose 37% last year, driven by a 36% surge in earnings. The consensus expects 16% earnings growth in 2022 and earnings growth of over 20% this year, as expected by VinaCapital, supported by Vietnam's strong economic growth. All of this makes it somewhat surprising that the VN-Index is currently down 17% compared to the beginning of 2022.
The US Federal Reversal (Fed)'s interest rate hike has dampened global stock market investors' sentiment, but VinaCapital expects Vietnam's strong domestic economy to offset weak stock market sentiment in the US and other markets. The main reason for the recent dour sentiment among Vietnamese retail investors is the Government's crackdown on illegal practices by certain companies that started at the end of March.
“But we believe the Government's efforts to improve corporate governance and transparency will ultimately benefit Vietnam's stock market, and the country as a whole,’ he noted.
The economist said that Vietnam's stock market should be one of the biggest beneficiaries of a Fed pivot because the country has the most attractive valuation in the region, and the second highest expected earnings growth next to Indonesia, adding that he believes the quality of Vietnam's corporate earnings is currently much better than that of Indonesia and other regional peers./.
- LTE phone shipments to grow 10-fold in 2012
- Worldwide semiconductor capital spending is forecast to grow 10.2% in 2017
- Comments for : LTE phone shipments to grow 10-fold in 2012
- Windows 10 Lean will trim the features for better performance on slower devices
- Vietnam bolsters agricultural exports amid growing protectionism
- Recovering economies driving growth in the industrial semiconductor market
- Many Vietnamese enterprises remain outside of Industry 4.0
- Infosys Q3 Report Stirs Speculation Over Link to US Fortunes
- Fall of Saigon: Vietnamese community remembers the fight against communism
- No-growth economy could mean fewer crashes and higher wages, study shows
- The hidden powerhouses that drive the UK economy
- Get a car for your gig economy job from Maven Gig, GM's growing rental service
- 4 ways entrepreneurs in developing economies can learn from Midwest startups
- Brits have suddenly stopped shopping — and it's a worrying omen for the economy
- Credit Suisse's CEO bizarrely laid into Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger when asked about the global economy
- The Gig Economy Reaches the Call Center
- Samsung Galaxy Note 12" with high-res display tipped for Q3, beating a larger iPad to market
- Britain's seemingly dire economy isn't actually doing that terribly
- Rumor: Dell Streak Pro 10-inch Tablet Packing Tegra 2, Keyboard Dock, Weighs As Much As a XOOM?
- Fastest-Growing Monster Black Hole Discovered, Can Devour Sun's Mass Every Two Days
Vietnamese economy is likely to grow 10% in Q3: VinaCapital have 730 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at August 5, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.