The storm is forecast to cause heavy downpours and rough seas in the northern region, including Hanoi, in the coming days.
A tropical low depression has strengthened into a tropical storm named Mulan, which will hit the northern coast of Vietnam early on August 11 morning, according to the National Center for Hydrometeorological Forecasting (NCHMF).
Mulan is the second tropical storm to have formed in the East Sea this year and will enter Vietnamese waters shortly, the center said, adding that its center was 480 kilometers from Mong Cai in the northern province of Quang Ninh this morning with winds of up to 62-88 kilometers per hour (kph).
Storm Mulan is heading toward northern Vietnam. Photo: NCHMF
Over the next 24 hours, it would move west-northwest at a speed of 15-20 kph. The storm is forecast to enter the Gulf of Tonkin tonight, causing heavy downpours and rough seas in the northern region, including Hanoi, in the coming days, the NCHMF noted.
At 7:00 am on August 11, it would lie 70 km south of Mong Cai, a town on the Vietnam – China border, and 110 km north of Hai Phong port city, packing winds of 62-74kph. The highest wind speed was recorded at 62-88kph with gusts up to 117kph.
The coast between Quang Ninh and its neighboring port city of Haiphong will see winds of 40-60 kph from Wednesday night and through Thursday.
The entire northern region and the two north-central provinces of Thanh Hoa and Nghe An will see rainfall of 100-200 mm, with certain areas recording levels up to 250 mm.
Heavy rains would continue to batter the north on Friday, the center said, forecasting that it would weaken into a tropical depression before becoming a low-pressure area that will directly affect Vietnam's northern provinces.
Powerful winds are also expected along the coast between Quang Ninh and Ninh Binh Provinces in northern Vietnam. Meanwhile, a strong southwest monsoon is forecast to cause rough seas and high waves in the central and southern sections of the East Sea.
Vietnam should expect 10-12 storms and low-pressure areas in the East Sea this year, with around half making landfall. The first was Chaba which hit the country in July.
- Spain holiday warning: Canary Islands flights cancelled as Storm Celia hits
- Space weather forecast: Earth being battered by solar storm which could lead to auroras
- Flooded areas call for ‘permanent solution’ after three storms hit in a week
- Winter Storm Quinlan path tracker LIVE – Bomb cyclone fears as gales & snow batter Northeast as storm hits Kansas City
- Tropical Cyclone Anika slowly approaches northern Kimberley coast
- Darwin no longer on cyclone watch as Tropical Cyclone Anika moves towards Kimberley coast
- Hurricane Leslie (post-tropical cyclone) path, track: Portugal landfall, Spain impact predicted in rare strike
- Winter Storm Quinlan path tracker LIVE – Strong winds, cold & snow expected in Northeast after storm batters Kansas City
- Snow in UK for DAYS as Spanish Storm Ana crashes into Arctic snap Met Office forecast says
- UK Weather: Storm Gladys 'to hit this week' with gale-force winds and warnings in place
- Flood-ravaged northern NSW could be hit by more storms today, BOM predicts
- UK storm forecast: Britain facing brutal 'thundersnow blizzard' - 'Danger to life' risk
- Storm Malik: Woman killed by fallen tree in Aberdeen during high winds
- UK storm forecast: Britain braced for lightning and hail as heavy showers to pummel nation
- Solar storm update: Earth ‘hit hard’ by huge Sun ejection – power and radio warning issued
- UK weather warning: Snow and lightning danger amid Storm Gladys fears
- Wind change heralds possibility of more storms for south-east Queensland
- UK weather forecast: Britain to be hotter than GREECE with 13C spring sunshine TOMORROW before heavy wind & rain strike
- UK weather forecast: Scorching ’28C heatwave’ to hit Brits soon as Met Office warn of strong gales & rain this weekend
- Live: 'Life-threatening' flooding expected in NSW, more storms forecast for Queensland
Tropical storm Mulan to hit northern Vietnam tomorrow have 627 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at August 10, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.