The “Falcon Strike” exercise has taken place four times since 2015 and will run for 11 days from Aug 14 at a base in northeastern Udon Thani that was home to U.S. forces during the Vietnam War.
The drills, the dates for which were decided in June, take place in a month when China is holding major exercises in the sea and airspace around Taiwan, in a show of military power following U.S. house speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to the self-ruled island, which Beijing regards as its own.
Thailand is the oldest U.S. ally in Asia but ties were complicated by a 2014 military coup. Thailand has sought to strengthen its relations with China and has made several defense procurements.
The Thai air force, one of the most equipped in the region, has historically used U.S. hardware and is seeking to procure F-35 fighter jets from Lockheed Martin Corp to replace some of its aging F-16 models.
According to an air force source, who asked not to be named because he was unauthorized to speak to media, Thailand will not deploy its F-16s for the exercises with China but will use its Saab JAS-39 Gripen fighters as well as German-made Alpha Jet light attack aircraft.It was not clear what type of fighter jets China would use, the source said.
- China, Pakistan air forces launch joint exercise
- US Air Force sends B-1 bombers back to Guam on temporary deployment
- Indian Navy, Air Force get ready to evacuate stranded citizens from Gulf nations
- China's ploy to leverage pandemic for East Sea gains unsuccessful: experts
- US Air Force Claims It's Ready to Use Nuclear Arsenal Despite Coronavirus Pandemic
- FIFA Doctor Is 'Skeptical' About Leagues Resuming Seasons Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- US, China Step Up Activities in South China Sea Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
- COVID-19: Australia cancels premier multilateral air combat training exercise
- Coronavirus | Narendra Modi hails mega exercise of saluting front-line workers
- Armed forces to conduct fly-pasts to thank COVID warriors
- China’s New Stealth Bomber Expected to Make First Public Appearance Before End of Year - Report
- PM Modi hails mega exercise of saluting ‘corona warriors'
- China in military drills to ‘prepare for war’ as British frigate due to sail through contested South China Sea
- Tomorrow, armed forces will thank Covid-warriors
- EU chief denies disinformation report was watered down for China
- Kishore Mahbubani: COVID-19 'enhanced China's position in the world order'
- Special Report: U.S. rearms to nullify China's missile supremacy
- US says ‘evidence’ virus came from China lab as Europe eases lockdown
- ‘India working with China to ensure quality of supplies’, says Vikram Misri
- Pandemic Upends US Government Operations, Pushing Tradition-bound to Embrace Remote Work
Thailand, China to resume air force exercises after pandemic pause have 427 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at August 9, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.