Under the “dynamic Covid zero” policy that aims at quickly stopping each outbreak from spreading, local governments have imposed shorter lockdowns where people were barred from unnecessary movements for a few days or weeks until clusters were contained within narrower areas.
Such lockdowns were less painful than the two-month virus battle fought by Shanghai in the spring, but the growing spread of Omicron across China may lead to more cities made subject to such measures along with the potential disruption to local businesses.
In the southern province of Hainan, currently the worst-hit Chinese region, two cities, Dongfang and Chengmai, with a total population of around 900,000, said on Friday they would add days to the lockdowns on their residents, prolonging what were previously scheduled for three to four days to around a week.
Hainan’s provincial capital Haikou on Friday put its 2.9 million population in a lockdown between 0700-1800 local time, following similar restrictions that covered main hours on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Several millions in other cities in Hainan, including Sanya, were under lockdown without clear dates of when the curbs would be lifted.
In the western region of Tibet, the biggest city Lhasa told residents not to go out unless they have special and urgent matters to attend to between Friday and Monday, as Covid workers carried out disinfection work in main urban areas.
Outside Hainan and Tibet, small cities that told residents not to leave home unnecessarily in fresh lockdowns include Fengcheng in the southeastern province of Jiangxi and Kuqa in the western region of Xinjiang.
Mainland China reported 1,851 domestically transmitted new coronavirus infections on Aug. 11, of which 648 were symptomatic and 1,203 were asymptomatic, the National Health Commission said on Friday.
Those new cases were reported across more than a dozen provinces, regions and municipalities, but mostly in Hainan.
There were no new deaths, keeping the nation’s fatalities at 5,226.
The financial hub of Shanghai reported seven new local cases on Aug.11, while the southern technology hub of Shenzhen reported one new local case.
China’s capital Beijing reported no new local cases.
- India Lockdown 3.0: Finance Minister explains break up of Rs 20 lakh crore; states extend the lockdown upto 31st May
- Coronavirus latest: China tells US to stop blame game
- Coronavirus latest: Johnson aide 'broke lockdown rules several times'
- COVID-19: Kaduna explains why it extended Lockdown to 2 weeks
- Coronavirus latest: Johnson aide 'broke lockdown several times'
- 'China must know Indians are no pushovers'
- Landmarks reopen despite increasing COVID-19 infections in Europe
- Global vaccine organization hails Vietnam’s success against Covid-19
- Coronavirus outbreak: Home Minister Amit Shah speaks to chief ministers on lockdown extension
- India's military power at LAC rattles China
- Chinese reaction may be a warning so that India sides with it on Covid, Taiwan, says ex-foreign secy Shyam Saran
- Coronavirus live updates: COVID-19 hospitalizations continue Bay Area slide, fewest since April 1
- Nigerian religious leaders demand lifting of COVID-19 lockdown
- China’s bold military move against US in the South China Sea
- Asia Today: China keeping Beijing petition offices closed
- When did lockdown start in the UK?
- China's Dada Nexus to kick off $500 million U.S. IPO this week -sources
- LIVE: PM to participate in High Level Event on Financing for Development in Era of COVID-19, Beyond as nationwide tally jumps to 61,227
- Will the COVID-19 lockdown be extended: Here is what to expect
- China plans to extend curbs on international flights until June 30: U.S. embassy
Parts of China's Hainan extend Covid lockdown, Lhasa in Tibet tightens curbs have 552 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at August 13, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.