A Pakistan zoo has called off plans to auction 12 lions from its ever-growing pride to private buyers, saying it would instead create new enclosures for the big cats.
Lahore Safari Zoo cancelled an auction of lions from its growing pride and said it would expand current facilities instead.
The auction planned for Thursday had drawn condemnation from the WWF, which urged authorities at Lahore Safari Zoo to instead rehome them with other government wildlife facilities.
“The main reason behind the auction was the lack of space,” deputy director Tanvir Ahmed Janjua told AFP, adding officials had decided to speed up work building two new enclosures.
“Now that this issue is to be resolved soon, there is no need for the auction to take place.”
Set over 200 acres, Lahore Safari Zoo is considered one of the best in the country — where zoos are known for disregarding animal welfare.
The Lahore facility is currently home to 29 lions, six resident tigers and two jaguars.
Zoo officials had set a reserve of 150,000 Pakistan rupees ($700) per cat — about the same price as a cow — but hoped each would fetch around two million rupees at auction.
Keeping lions, tigers and other exotic wildlife as pets is not uncommon in Pakistan, and is seen as a status symbol.
Wealthy owners post images and video clips of their big cats on social media, and rent them out as props for movies and photoshoots.
Janjua denied opposition from animal rights activists had led to the decision to cancel the auction.
“Should the lions breed more, and we see we are running out of space once again, then we can easily hold another auction,” he said.
- WAN-IFRA, IPA, and IFJ urge Pakistan to retract proposed PMDA
- Pakistan deserved better but must show resolve amid England snub
- England 1 Hungary 1 LIVE REACTION: Stones cancels out Sallai opener as Three Lions drop points in World Cup qualifier
- Pelosi, Seeking to Insulate House Majority, Presses Plan to Lower Health Costs
- How an African Dictator’s Son Used Dirty Money to Build the World’s Largest Michael Jackson Memorabilia Collection
- Dolce & Gabbana Just Set a $6 Million Record for Fashion NFTs
- Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram hit by major outage
- Prep-School Predators
- How Ozy Fest Was About To Become The Next Fyre Festival — Until A Heat Wave (And Insurance Claim) Bailed Them Out
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS OCTOBER 1
- 9/11 attacks sparked 20-year war and left deep rifts
- Paramount Plus: Champions League, shows, movies, free trials and everything else to know
- Transcript: Ezra Klein Interviews Heather McGhee about the Cost of Racism
- What Students Are Saying About Teaching Race in Schools, Reviving Extinct Animals and Live Sports
- The 'umming and ahhing' of an event organiser in any level but 1
- 229319: India Biannual Fraud Update
- The New Puritans
- Record gas prices slow LNG investment in Asia; N.America scrambles on exports
- Coronavirus: Single people can stay the night with loved ones, PM says
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES MAY 17
Pakistan zoo cancels lion auction, plans expansion instead have 468 words, post on dtinews.vn at August 10, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.