Hanoi (VNA) – Localities from the northern to the northern central regions have been requested to gear up personnel and equipment for Storm Mulan, which is predicted to enter the Gulf of Tonkin on late August 10.
The Standing Office of the National Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control held a meeting with ministries, sectors, and localities on August 10 to discuss measures to respond to the storm.
Nguyen Van Tien, Deputy General Director of the Vietnam Disaster Management Authority and deputy chief of the committee's office, said as Storm Mulan was forecast to cause heavy rains in many areas, therefore ministries, sectors, and localities need to seriously carry out the official dispatch issued by the committee on August 9.
They need to monitor vessels working at sea, keep frequent contact with vessel owners to deal with any circumstance in a timely manner, guide them to seek shelter, and ready personnel and equipment for search and rescue when necessary.
Localities were told to ensure safety for people and assets on islands and aquaculture zones, transportation vessels, as well as tourism and construction activities at sea and coastal areas.
Basing on the storm's developments, they can also impose a ban on activities at sea.
Col. Nguyen Dinh Hung, head of the search division at the Border Guard High Command, said as of 6:30am on August 10, authorities had guided 52,249 vessels with 228,960 people to move out of dangerous areas and seek shelter. They had also tugged three vessels in distress to safe places.
The northeastern coastal province of Quang Ninh has also been taking prompt actions to cope with Storm Mulan .
It has banned vessels from operating at sea since the noon of August 10 and is striving to complete all necessary tasks by 5pm on the day.
Storm Mulan, the second to appear in the East Sea this year, is heading towards the northern coast. It is forecast to move west – northwest at about 15 – 20km per hour between 4pm on August 10 and 4am on August 11, when its centre will be at around 21 degrees North and 108.4 degrees East, on the northern waters of the Gulf of Tonkin , about 80km to the southeast of Quang Ninh's Mong Cai city. Wind speeds near the storm eye may reach up to 62 – 74km per hour.
Under the storm's impact, from August 10 evening to August 12, northern localities along with Thanh Hoa and Nghe An provinces in the northern central region are predicted to experience downpours with rainfall of 100 – 200mm, even over 250mm.
Flash floods and landslides are likely to occur in mountainous areas while floods in low-lying areas, according to the National Centre for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting./.
- ‘Tenet’ Tops $250M WW, Takes Japan By Storm; ‘Mulan’s Uphill Battle Continues In China; ‘After We Collided’ Sexy At $30M Overseas – International Box Office
- Gov. Cuomo Calls Storming Of U.S. Capitol Building ‘A Failed Attempt At A Coup’ As Tri-State Leaders React To Protests
- Met office dubs Ciara 'storm of the century' as homes are evacuated, hotel collapses into raging flood waters and 93mph winds rip down cranes, windmills and even a pub
- Surgeon General demands states 'move quickly' through vaccine priority lists - as West Virginia ignores federal guidelines to vaccinate ALL nursing home residents and White House considers Israel-approach and handing out spare shots to ANYONE
- Is full Lockdown Mk 3 coming? Keir Starmer demands new national squeeze within 24 hours to stop 'out of control' mutant Covid as Boris Johnson says rules are 'probably about to get tougher'
- Exodus unlikely as Vietnamese-Asian diaspora brace for new Covid-19 outbreaks
- Mekong flower farmers lessen Tet yield, brace for pandemic slump
- So how DID they get in? Democrats demand to know how rioters were so easily able to storm the US Capitol... amid claims Donald Trump refused to let troops defend the building
- Trump supporters storm Congress as Pence and lawmakers run for safety: Mob smashes through police barriers and wall of tear gas to stop Biden's victory being certified - after President told them to march on the Capitol to 'stop the steal'
- 'I won't betray my oath': Pence publicly DEFIES Trump's demand to block Biden's confirmation after President declares war on his own 'weak' party at DC rally
- Gov. Cuomo Says Utility Companies Face Steep Fines For Apparent Violations After Tropical Storm Isaias Response
- Top US Democrats Demand Trump's Ouster
- Top US Senate Democrat Demands Trump's Ouster
- EXCLUSIVE: Airforce vet Trump rioter, 35, who was shot dead by cops while storming Capitol had charges of reckless endangerment, malicious destruction of property and tampering with a car on her rap sheet
- Mike Pence puts Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer ON HOLD when they called to demand he remove Donald Trump with the 25th Amendment - so she threatens to impeach president for 'sedition' to end 'horror show'
- Pro-Trump Mob Storms Capitol, Halting Electoral Vote Count: Live Updates
- US Capitol: Police regain control after Donald Trump supporters storm building, with four dead and bombs found
- Watch Live: Joe Biden delivers remarks on the coronavirus crisis as states brace for post-holiday surge
- US border tensions boil over as Donald Trump demands: 'Close the whole thing'
- Thousands Storm US Capitol in ‘Shameful Assault . . . on Our Democracy’
Localities demanded to promptly brace for storm Mulan have 880 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at August 10, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.