Under a planned new regulation, the Health Ministry of Indonesia is looking to control the promotion and packaging of e-cigarettes, which have remained unregulated since their legalisation in 2018.
The ministry is also seeking to increase the size of graphic health warnings on tobacco packaging from 40% to 90%, ban the advertising, sponsorship and promotion of tobacco products, and prohibit the sale of single cigarettes.
The number of underage smokers continues to increase each year, especially since the legalisation of e-cigarettes, Imran Agus Nurali, the ministry's director of health promotion and community empowerment, told a webinar on August 11.
He stressed the need for stronger measures to reduce tobacco consumption to protect future generations from the impact of smoking.
Banning the advertising, sponsorship and promotion of tobacco products is also crucial as according to the 2019 Global Youth Tobacco Survey, around 65% of Indonesia's children are exposed to tobacco ads through television, point-of-sale advertising, and billboards, he added.
Indonesia is the only country in Southeast Asia that still allows cigarette advertising on television and printed media.
Aside from revising the prevailing tobacco regulation, the government is also planning to further increase the cigarette excise tax next year.
Earlier this year, the Finance Ministry raised tobacco excise by 12%, leading to an average 35% increase in cigarette prices.
According to the Health Ministry, tobacco kills around 290,000 people in the country each year.
- New PPP rules to drive development
- Tier Three WAS working: Covid-19 hospital admissions are falling in hotspot areas that were under toughest local curbs before lockdown
- Germany moves toward tightening partial lockdown against Covid-19 until Dec 20
- 'A Christmas not like others': Europe wrestles with festive Covid rules
- Air Pollution | A game of smoke and mirrors
- Maryland tightens COVID-19 restrictions amid massive case surge
- China sees rising India as rival, wants to curb its ties with US, allies: Report
- COVID-19 rules shunned at funeral of Serbian church leader who died from virus
- Madhya Pradesh, Haryana and three other states plan laws against ‘love jihad’
- 'This is about saving lives': PM lashes out at Andy Burnham's lack of 'leadership' as Greater Manchester Mayor refuses to accept Tier Three lockdown rules and haggles for more money - but Lancashire AGREES to the curbs from TOMORROW with '£30m bailout'
- Grant Shapps urges people NOT to use trains at Christmas because they will be 'too busy' - as UK ministers hold Cobra meeting on plans to ease Covid restrictions for festive family reunions
- Fines for selling tobacco to minors may not stub out problem
- Britain braced for T-Day: Boris Johnson will announce TODAY which Tiers country will be placed in until Christmas with London and Liverpool hoping to avoid toughest restrictions but almost nowhere expected to get Tier 1
- Tories Slam ‘Authoritarianism' as PM Johnson Reportedly Faces Revolt Ahead of Vote on COVID Tiers
- Yale and Harvard researchers create site ranking colleges on their COVID-19 dashboards with both of the Ivy League schools receiving top grades while John Hopkins fails
- China bars travellers from the UK, Belgium, the Philippines and India in new COVID-19 clampdown
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JUNE 14
- Drinkers head out in force before 10pm curfew as a QUARTER of Britain is locked down - with residents banned from leaving Cardiff and Swansea unless they have a 'reasonable excuse'... while London faces no-mixing order
- Britain records 1.7% fewer coronavirus cases than last Tuesday with 20,051 new infections but England may still be heading for FOUR tiers when lockdown ends 'to save Christmas' as death toll rises 12.4% in a week
- FIFTY Northern Tory MPs mount a lockdown revolt: Boris faces a 'red wall' rebellion and demands for an 'exit map' - as eight million people are plunged into toughest coronavirus restrictions with addition of Nottingham and Warrington to Tier 3
Indonesia plans to tighten rules to curb underage smoking have 607 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at September 14, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.