Nearly 30,000 farmed lobsters have died for unknown reasons in the south-central Vietnamese province of Phu Yen after a tropical storm made its way into the country's mainland earlier this week.
Some 29,240 lobsters and 1,220 groupers and barramundi raised in 385 farming rafts in Song Cau Town, Phu Yen had died as of Wednesday, Nguyen Van Lam, head of the provincial Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, confirmed a day later.
The damage was estimated at nearly VND2.5 billion (US$106,850).
With appropriate measures, local farmers managed to stop the mass mortality on Thursday, which could be attributed to Storm Mulan , according to the provincial Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine.
The dead lobsters showed no signs of suffering from diseases.
Storm Mulan, the second hitting Vietnam this year, weakened into a tropical depression early on Thursday morning after bringing rough seas and strong waves to the East Vietnam Sea on Wednesday and Thursday.
The impact of the storm might disturb the sea bottom of the farming area and the organic sediments accumulated for a long time from the waste of farming activities, thereby releasing toxic gases and causing an oxygen depletion to the farmed lobsters and fishes.
Phu Yen's Song Cau Town is home to lobster farms which cover a total area of 1,000 hectares, according to the Vietnam News Agency .
In the first six months of this year, the town's total lobster productivity reached around 630 metric tons.
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 27
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 25
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 26
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 28
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 1
- It's not over yet! Storm-battered Sydney faces massive clean-up as worst weather in decades sends heavy rain and gale force winds towards Victoria
- Skyjacking in Vietnam: P1 – First hijackers
- Coast-to-coast storm threatens 40 MILLION people returning home from Thanksgiving with travel IMPOSSIBLE in some places and more than a foot of snow predicted from Boston to New Jersey as three children are swept away by floods in Arizona
- We begged our son not to leave Vietnam… the people who did this must be punished, say parents of Essex truck victim
- Huge storm battering US turns deadly as two children are killed by floods in Arizona 'during Thanksgiving family reunion' and 40 MILLION people returning home from the holidays are threatened with a foot of snow and freezing rain
- ‘Travel not advised’: California travelers pounded by a cold Thanksgiving-week storm
- Vietnam, S.Korea to strive for $100bn bilateral trade
- First protester dies in Colombia unrest as marches press on
- 'I guess you can buy followers, but not Retweets or personality?' Donald Trump Jr. mocks Michael Bloomberg after former New York mayor's 2020 campaign launch fizzles on Twitter
- Last Male Northern White Rhino Dies, Leaving Just Two Living Females
- Dog off the menu: South Korean kennel mother saves pups from the plate
- 'Naked' lorry victims fought to escape and banged for help: Police found bloody handprints on the door handle and walls of freezing -25C 'coffin' where 39 migrants died at the hands of people smugglers
- Storm Emma: UK snow could reach 50cm as conditions worsen
- Weather forecast: Flood alerts as Storm Sebastien to lash UK with 22ft waves and a month’s rain
- Dorian strengthens to a Category 2 storm with 100MPH winds and topples a crane in Halifax as Canada prepares for its first hurricane in nine YEARS after tracking across US East Coast having already battered the Carolinas
Farmed lobsters die en masse following storm in south-central Vietnam have 577 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at August 13, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.