"Thanks to the effective pandemic response and guided by the ASEAN Comprehensive Recovery Framework (ACRF) and its Implementation Plan, we have emerged safer, stronger, and more resilient as a community," he said at the event, held by the ASEAN Secretariat at its headquarters in Jakarta to mark ASEAN's 55th founding anniversary.
ASEAN trade volumes have returned to pre-pandemic levels and the association's economy is forecast to grow by 4.9% this year and 5.2% next year.
"The entry into force of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) earlier this year demonstrates ASEAN's pivotal role in contributing to regional peace and growth, bettering the life of our people, and providing opportunities for all."
According to the Secretary General, in spite of these achievements, ASEAN must remain vigilant against the ever present risks to its recovery, including disruptions to the supply of key commodities, rising costs in food and logistics, and the economic slowdown in major economies that are projected to push more people into extreme poverty unless adequately addressed.
ASEAN needs to take heed of past experiences in order to be better prepared for future shocks, he said, adding that one key lesson of the pandemic is the importance of a community approach.
To this end, he emphasized the need to enhance regional integration and cooperation in the context that global links are become more complex. Upholding the principles of open regionalism, as well as ensuring ASEAN centrality and unity in the evolving regional and global architectures, should remain the bedrock of our efforts, Lim said.
It is essential for ASEAN to ensure that initiatives embracing digitization to create a thriving digital economy in a region of 463 million internet users, which is expected to reach 300 billion USD in 2025.
He also highlighted the importance of improving the productivity and competitiveness in these new drivers of growth by investing in the region's human capital and providing greater access to health, future-ready education, skills training and lifelong learning, as well as a reliable social protection system.
Attention should be paid to the region's youth, he said, noting that ASEAN should expand opportunities for young people to participate and contribute to policy-making and community development.
The official underlined the need for ASEAN to accelerate its green agenda in areas such as sustainable climate, biodiversity, livelihoods, circular economy, and energy efficiency with renewable energy.
- Andhra govt works on shifting of capital, plans R-day celebrations in Vizag
- Traffic diversions on Beach Road for Republic Day celebrations
- Srinagar: Major attack averted ahead of Republic Day; five terrorists held
- Australia Day celebrates strong sense of community
- Gwinnett MLK Day Parade, Program Held By United Ebony Society
- Republic Day 2020: Traffic advisory issued for full rehearsal
- ASEAN 2020: ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ retreat
- Armed Forces Day: Obaseki pays respect to fallen heroes, hails efforts at sustaining Nigeria’s unity
- Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Troops write PMB emotional letter
- 9 facts you might not know about Australia Day
- Amber Heard packs on the PDA with new girlfriend Bianca Butti before taking to the podium to speak at 4th Annual Women's Day March in LA
- How Igbo Day was celebrated in Owerri
- Army Day: All you need to know about this special Indian Army Day
- Five held as J&K police bust Jaish module in Srinagar; foil terror bid planned for R-Day
- Southern California Celebrates, Honors Legacy Of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Delhi Traffic Police issues advisory for Republic Day parade rehearsals
- PHOTOS: India's military might showcased at Army Day parade
- Held Hizbul man planned major attack ahead of Republic Day, says intel
- World Book Day 2019: Reading in the times of the digital age and top 5 ways to stay updated
- Police bust Jaish module in Srinagar planning terror attack on Republic Day, 5 nabbed
55th ASEAN Day Celebration solemnly held have 614 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at September 11, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.