As of mid-afternoon, with Americans gearing up for July 4 Independence Day celebrations, more than 600 flights within, into, or out of the United States had been canceled, and more than 3,300 were delayed, according to flight tracking service flightaware.com.
The numbers on Friday were grim as well, with 587 U.S. flights scrapped among a global total of 3,061 cancellations, the site said. Sunday was also looking problematic, with more than 100 flights already canceled.
The airport chaos is prompting a record level of road travel by Americans seeking to dodge flight trouble, a travel industry group said.
For days, amid a surge in travel as summer rolls in, horror stories have abounded as travelers were stranded at airports, enduring odysseys to reach their destinations.
The airline industry was devastated in the early stages of the Covid-19 pandemic as people stayed close to home, but air travel has rebounded as health measures were eased.
And although federal Covid-19 relief spared airlines from laying off staff, tens of thousands of workers left the industry after carriers urged early retirement.
Today’s industry has about 15 percent less staff compared with the pre-pandemic period to handle around 90 percent of pre-2020 passenger volume, analysts at Third Bridge consultancy estimated.
‘Pilots are getting fatigued’
The travel chaos has drawn scrutiny from Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and others in Washington.
On Saturday, Buttigieg tweeted a series of tips on what to do if one’s flight is canceled, such as whether to accept travel points or miles as compensation, or demand a cash refund.
“You can often negotiate on this. That’s between you and the airline,” Buttigieg wrote.
The travel season is at full speed, with 2,490,490 people screened at airport checkpoints nationwide on Friday, the most since February 2020 right before the Covid shutdown in the U.S., the Transportation Security Administration said.
“We are back to pre-pandemic checkpoint volume,” the TSA tweeted.
Delta pilots walked informational picket lines at several airports Thursday to demand a new contract and complain of overwork, among other issues.
“Quite frankly, it’s irresponsible scheduling, over scheduling. Coming out of the pandemic, we’re scheduling more flights than we have people to fly them,” Delta pilots association union leader Jason Ambrosi told CNN on Saturday.
“The pilots are getting fatigued, quite honestly,” Ambrosi said.
They do not want to strand travelers or crew members, he added, “but it’s a safety issue.”
Lack of pilots is the most acute problem in a broad airline industry labor crunch, said Third Bridge analyst Peter McNally.
“There’s no short-term fix,” McNally told AFP . “The issue becomes most pronounced during these seasonal peaks.”
Airlines say they’re working to address the situation, recruiting pilots and other staff and trimming summer seat capacity by 15 percent.
While acknowledging the pilot shortage, airline industry officials point to other exacerbating factors, including turbulent weather, increased staff absences due to Covid and insufficient flight traffic control personnel at some sites.
For the long Independence Day weekend, a record 42 million Americans will also travel by road at least 50 miles (80 kilometers) from home, despite soaring gasoline prices, the American Automobile Association said.
The travel hassles affecting the airline industry may be fueling the heavy road traffic, it noted.
“Traveling by car does provide a level of comfort and flexibility that people may be looking for given the recent challenges with flying,” said AAA Travel senior vice president Paula Twidale.
- July 4th Weekend Weather: Hottest Day Of Year Kicks Off Holiday Weekend
- The Brits are back! UK visitors join tourists flooding into Majorca as 144 flights touch down on holiday island and ministers FINALLY prepare to unveil list of quarantine-free countries tomorrow
- 4th of July 2020: Here's Your Ultimate Holiday Weekend Playlist With Harry Styles, Megan Thee Stallion & More
- Police SHUT DOWN part of London as hundreds flock to illegal raves after weekend of partying in pubs, bars and parks
- The Latest: California advises against holiday gatherings
- Jellyfish the size of dinner plates are welcoming visitors to Northeast beaches this Fourth of July weekend
- British Airways switches short-haul flights from Gatwick to Heathrow for 'cost efficiencies' during pandemic as Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary warns of 3,500 job cuts, EasyJet plans to cut 4,500 roles and Airbus sheds 1,700 staff
- High Street bloodbath continues: John Lewis will close stores and axe staff as Harrods announces 700 jobs losses and Topshop owner Arcadia reveals plans to cut 500 head office jobs as more shoppers go online instead
- Pret a Manger is to axe 30 stores putting 1,000 jobs at risk as it becomes it becomes the latest victim of Britain's High Street bloodbath during the coronavirus crisis
- Air bridges to EVERYWHERE: Boris Johnson faces pressure to open up holiday routes to the whole EU after anger that popular Portugal was left off his list
- Decision on summer holidays will be taken TODAY: Boris Johnson expected to approve quarantine-free travel to France, Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey from July 4 - but will Portugal be on the list?
- The 10 safest European holiday beaches to keep your distance on post-lockdown
- Pittsburgh International Airport Asks Holiday Travelers To Arrive Early And Know What To Expect TSA Safety Procedures
- B&Q May bank holiday opening times – what time do stores open this weekend?
- Supermarket May bank holiday opening times – What time do Tesco, Asda and Morrisons stores open on Monday?
- Double demerits kick in tonight ahead of long weekend
- TUI warns other countries are likely to ban Brits like Greece – leading to last minute holiday cancellations
- Fancy A Holiday to Jersey? Here’s Where To Stay & What To Do On Your Visit
- Life in a COVID world: The ‘new normal’ for Australia is going to be weird for a long time
- Strawberry Festival is back on— and set for July Fourth weekend
Hundreds of flights axed as US kicks off long holiday weekend have 936 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at July 3, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.