The United States, Australia, Japan, New Zealand and the United Kingdom launched an informal group aimed at boosting economic and diplomatic ties with Pacific island nations, the White House said on Friday.
The Biden administration has vowed to commit more resources to the Indo-Pacific as China seeks to boost economic, military and police links with Pacific island nations hungry for foreign investment.
The group, dubbed Partners in the Blue Pacific (PBP), will seek to support Pacific regionalism and strengthen economic ties between the Pacific islands and the rest of the world.
“We are united in our shared determination to support a region that benefits the peoples of the Pacific. We are also united in how we realize this vision — according to principles of Pacific regionalism, sovereignty, transparency, accountability, and most of all, led and guided by the Pacific Islands,” the White House said.
White House Indo-Pacific coordinator Kurt Campbell said on Thursday he expects more high-level U.S. officials to visit Pacific island countries as Washington steps up its engagement to counter China in the strategically important region.
Campbell said the United States needed more diplomatic facilities across the region, and more contact with Pacific island countries that at times “receive lesser attention.”
- T20 WC Final: Trans-Tasman rivals Australia and New Zealand lock horns in battle of contrasting styles
- T20 World Cup 2021 Final: Australia vs New Zealand: Everyone had written us off, but we were confident: Finch
- US warship to visit New Zealand after three-decade stand-off
- T20 World Cup 2021 Final: Australia vs New Zealand Preview: Resilient Aussies face clinical Kiwis
- Mike Hesson: Australia tackle New Zealand swing bowlers better than India batsmen
- T20 World Cup semi-final preview and predictions: England v New Zealand and Pakistan v Australia
- Coronavirus digest: New Zealand extends lockdown in Auckland
- New Zealand recall first-string stars for centenary clash against South Africa
- New Zealand advances to T20 World Cup semi-finals at expense of India
- CSK's IPL-winning coach Fleming joins New Zealand camp ahead of T20 World Cup
- New Zealand stun shell-shocked England to reach T20 World Cup final
- New Zealand's haka protected by UK trade agreement amid 'cultural appropriation' debate
- T20 World Cup 2021: New Zealand vs Namibia: Live Telecast, Live Streaming, IST Time info
- Women's football team start training ahead of New Zealand friendlies
- T20 World Cup, ENG vs NZ: England, New Zealand Eye Final Spot In Shadow Of 2019 Classic | Cricket News
- England captain Eoin Morgan drops selection hint ahead of New Zealand T20 World Cup clash
- India vs New Zealand: Venkatesh Iyer’s bowling important going forward, says Rohit Sharma
- New Zealand hospital system limited to caring for urgent patients after ransomware attack
- T20WC: X-factor loaded England face ever consistent New Zealand in first semifinal
- New Zealand PM Ardern welcomes signs of U.S. greater presence in Indo-Pacific
U.S., Japan, Australia, New Zealand and United Kingdom form Pacific group have 445 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at June 25, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.