HCM CITY — The Trần Hữu Trang Cải Lương Theatre is offering a summer programme featuring cải lương (reformed opera) targeting primary and secondary students in HCM City and Thủ Đức City.
The programme is called Ước Mơ Của Em (My Dream) and includes new shows staged by veteran and young performers, including Meritorious Artist Lam Tuyền and young talents Nhật Nguyên and Khánh Ngọc.
The artists perform folk music, cải lương, tuồng or hát bội (classical drama) — the two traditional genres of Vietnamese theatre which began a hundred years ago. Traditional instruments used in Vietnamese theatre are also introduced.
They will visit and perform Vietnamese folk songs and dances, and one and two-act shows in cải lương and tuồng for students in the districts of Gò Vấp, Bình Tân and Củ Chi and Thủ Đức City.
They will also perform two famous extracts from Tiếng Trống Mê Linh , (The sounds of Mê Linh Drum), a cải lương play on national heroines Hai Bà Trưng (two Trưng women) from 1977.
The play tells the life of Trưng Trắc and Trưng Nhị, the two sisters who led the first resistance movement against the Chinese occupation in the first century, around 2,000 years ago.
The sisters led their troops on elephants to repel Chinese invasions. Their victory brought liberation for Đại Việt (an old name for Việt Nam) after 247 years of Chinese domination.
"Our summer programme, Ước Mơ Của Em , encourages students to love traditional art, especially cải lương , a symbolic form of Vietnamese theatre that originated and expanded in southern Việt Nam, particularly in the Cửu Long (Mekong) River Delta provinces, after watching our live performances," said Phan Quốc Kiệt, director of Trần Hữu Trang Cải Lương Theatre.
"Through our art, we hope young generations will improve their knowledge in Vietnamese history and culture."
The programme, Ước Mơ Của Em , started last weekend and will offer 72 free shows. VNS
- Private theatre owners go bankrupt due to COVID-19 outbreak
- Stage struck: Tom Stoppard, Cush Jumbo, Brian Cox and more on the magic of theatre
- Lionheart Offers Variety of Summer Drama Camps
- Coronavirus Double Whammy: School Closures, Economic Downturn Could Derail Student Learning
- Youngsters fuel hope for revival of traditional arts
- "Roll in the cranes" for Waikato Regional Theatre project
- Students criticise Royal College of Art's plan to hold degree show online
- Slovak student in Alaska: I was fishing for salmon next to a grizzly
- 'This is hard on your soul': the coronavirus's threat to new theatres
- Institutes offer flexi-fee option
- Amidst Covid-19 outbreak, Indian students in the US tell parents: Don’t worry
- 'It's a nightmare': how coronavirus is wreaking havoc on students' exams
- Fighting against virus with traditional music
- MU offers hostel, IT Park for quarantine
- New Cambridge students to attend compulsory sexual consent workshops
- British national offers free swimming lessons in Hue
- Med students are graduating early to join the fight against COVID-19
- Sign up for Summer Intensives at the ARTfactory!
- Work & Travel USA: Will Covid-19 affect the programme?
- Lana Del Rey and Friends. America makes students’ wishes come true
Traditional theatre offers summer programme for students have 609 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at June 23, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.