HCM CITY — The National Basketball Association (NBA)’s Oklahoma Thunder selected Jaylin Williams, a 2.08-metre power forward from the University of Arkansas in the fourth pick of the second round of the draft on Friday (June 24).
The 19-year-old is the first player of Vietnamese descent to play in the NBA.
With the young team Oklahoma have, analysts expect Williams to get a lot of playing time next season.
He held back tears as he watched the draft with fans, family and friends at his high school gym in Fort Smith, Arkansas.
"This is just the beginning," he said.
His coach at the University of Arkansas, Eric Musselman, congratulated his former star player.
"He's going to be a great fit with the Thunder. He is a player that should be able to come in right away and contribute due to his high basketball I.Q, his ability to rebound and his play on dribble-handoffs.”
“Our staff is extremely happy for Jaylin and his family. "
Williams has played for a number of representative teams, averaging 10.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game and managed 23.9 per cent accuracy from the three-point line.
Johnny Juzang, another player of Vietnamese descent, has signed a two-way contract with Utah Jazz and will play in the G-League for Salt Lake City Stars besides having a big chance to get game time in the NBA League.
He impressed as a sophomore when he led UCLA on a run to the final four in 2021. He was the darling of the men’s NCAA tournament that season but opted to stay in school for another year to develop his game.
He averaged 15.6 points, 4.7 rebounds and 1.8 assists for the Bruins while shooting 43.2 percent from the field and 36.0 per cent from beyond the arc last season.
As a three-year college player, he has the maturity to be an immediate contributor for the Jazz if he can find a way to make the main roster. — VNS
- Knicks team president: 'We know we’ll get a good player at 3'
- NBA 2018-19: 3 Players that the Boston Celtics need to trade away
- NBA Trade Rumors: 3 players the Miami Heat should keep out of trade talks
- NBA 2018-19: 5 Players with the most three-pointers so far
- NBA 2018-19: 5 Players who should make their All-Star Debut
- NBA Trade Deadline: 3 players the Cleveland Cavaliers should trade away.
- NBA Playoffs 2019: 5 players facing the most pressure
- NBA's Top 75 Players Who Could Be Traded This Offseason
- Ranking NBA's Top 100 Players of 2018-19 Season so Far
- Kevin Durant shows he’s the NBA’s most complete player
- Lakers' LeBron James tops list of NBA's highest-paid players, raking in $89M on and off-court this season
- Vince Carter, NBA's oldest active player, interested in returning for a 22nd season: 'We'll see what happens'
- Toronto Raptors forward Pascal Siakam making case as NBA's most improved player
- Kiszla: Can’t ignore big, white elephant in the room. Nikola Jokic among NBA’s five best players in 2019.
- NBA trade rumors: Hornets talking with Wizards about Bradley Beal deal
- NBA trade deadline 2019: Best social media reactions
- NBA London Game could be axed next year in favour of Paris, says commissioner Adam Silver
- NBA playoffs 2019: Is 'The Process' complete for the 76ers?
- LeBron James clears up potential NBA ownership: 'It's more of an aspiration'
- Nets' D’Angelo Russell on his 44-point game vs. Kings: You 'find a way to get it done'
NBA gets first Vietnamese-origin players have 568 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at June 26, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.