HCM CITY — Young artists from the HCM City Tuồng Theatre will perform a new experimental play set in the third century BC at the National Tuồng and Traditional Theatre Festival that will start tomorrow.
The play, performed by members of the HCM City Tuồng Theatre troupe, will feature tuồng or hát bội (classical drama), a unique Vietnamese art that developed from a folk art into a royal art in the 17th century.
The new experimental play, titled Chiếc Áo Thiên Nga (Swan Coast), is written by Lê Duy Hạnh and Hữu Danh.
It deals with patriotism, honesty, love and betrayal based on depictions in Vietnamese folk stories.
The play is set during the reign of King An Dương Vương, founder of the Âu Lạc Kingdom in the third century BC.
King Vương uses a magic crossbow to protect his kingdom, Âu Lạc, from invaders. His only daughter, Princess Mỵ Châu, falls in love with Trọng Thủy, a son of Triệu Đà, the lord of a rival state that borders Âu Lạc in the north.
After their wedding, Châu tells Thủy the secret and method of using her father's magic crossbow. Thủy informs his father how King Vương protects his kingdom. Âu Lạc is attacked and defeated.
King Vương kills Châu for her betrayal before killing himself.
“The tale of Mỵ Châu and Trọng Thủy has been being staged by many theatres with different genres of art such as tuồng , chèo (traditional opera) and cải lương (reformed theatre)," said the play's director Đông Hồ.
"In our version, the artists will offer a unique style of tuồng combined with new concepts in structure, conversation and directing style.
"We hope that young audiences will learn about Việt Nam's history, culture and lifestyle from the play," he said.
Director Hồ uses young talents Ngọc Giàu as Princess Mỵ Châu and Bảo Châu as Trọng Thủy; as well as a chamber orchestra of traditional musicians.
Tuồng song, dance and music is highly stylised and filled with symbolism.
Artists wear heavy costumes and use their body, from the fingers to the elbows to all of the muscles as they sing and dance at the same time
The 2022 National Tuồng and Traditional Theatre Festival in being held in the central province of Nghệ An. It is organised by the Performing Arts Department under Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
The 12-day event will be a chance for actors, particularly young talents, to perform and share skills and experiences, and expand their repertoire, organisers said.
It will feature more than 250 artists from State-owned and private theatres and troupes in Hà Nội, HCM City and provinces of Đà Nẵng, Quảng Nam, Huế, Khánh Hòa, Bình Định, Thanh Hóa and Hà Tĩnh. — VNS
- Registrations open for Thespo 22 digital youth theatre festival
- Artists stage plays at online drama festival
- Xinhua Headlines: Young Tibetan becomes new face of idyllic rural life
- For Mohit Takalkar a play is made in the rehearsal process
- Water puppet performances offered at HCM City Museum of History
- Israeli and Polish artists to perform at Huế festival
- All things theatre with Vijay Padaki
- 2020 Hue Festival honours traditional and contemporary cultural values
- A transgender theatre group focuses on the lives of fellow members through a play
- Miley Cyrus flaunts her physique as she gets into the festive spirit and poses with Lil Nas X in teaser for Amazon Music's Holiday Plays
- Surat: Police take street play to spread Covid-19 awareness
- Central Highlanders work to keep traditional cultural practices alive
- Sundance Film Festival Director Tabitha Jackson On How 2021 Edition Will Play Out In Park City, Online And At An Art House Near You
- 17 Movies to See at the Tribeca Film Festival This Year
- Neil Young Drops Lawsuit Against Trump Campaign Over Song Usage
- Paul Grayson column: Time to give serious thought to replacing Italy in Six Nations with South Africa
- ‘The Lord Of the Rings’: Lenny Henry, Augustus Prew, Peter Mullan, Cynthia Addai-Robinson & Benjamin Walker Among 20 New Cast Additions On Amazon Series
- An actor’s guide to playing God
- Revealed: The festive family activities you CAN do this year despite Covid restrictions - from ice skating at Hampton Court Palace to watching the panto at your local theatre (oh yes you can!)
- HCM City theatres receive funding to release plays on YouTube
Young artists to perform new, experimental play at national traditional theatre festival have 872 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 16, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.