A report from the Tam Dao District People’s Committee said that the area saw intense rain from May 22-24, which has caused several dams to break, inundating many houses in Hop Chau Town and the communes of Ho Son, Dai Dinh, and Minh Quang.
“More than 20 kilometres of roads in the area were deeply submerged or blocked by landslides,” the report said. “Over 170 hectares of fruit trees, vegetables, and rice have been damaged. The total losses are estimated at about VND3 billion.
In an inspection of some flooded sites in Hop Chau Town on May 25, the chairman of Tam Dao District People’s Committee Dinh Van Muoi asked local authorities to take urgent measures to curb the flooding and ensure safety for local residents.
Chairman of Tam Dao District People’s Committee Dinh Van Muoi (second from left) directs the rescue work on May 25
According to the National Centre for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting, the total rainfall recorded in the past four days in Tam Dao reached 808mm. On May 23 alone, the rainfall reached 464mm which was the highest level recorded since 1962.
The centre said that the northern and northern central regions have experienced rare rainy weather in May with strangely high rainfall.
Heavy rain has affected areas of Vinh Phuc, Ha Giang, Tuyen Quang, Yen Bai, Lao Cai, Thai Nguyen, Phu Tho, Hoa Binh, Dien Bien, Cao Bang, and Hanoi. In total, 317 houses have been damaged along with 19,000 hectares of crops.
Two people died in a landslide in Tuyen Quang where 4 people were also injured and several houses collapsed. A third fatality was reported in Hoa Binh where a person drowned in floodwaters.
- Flash Flooding Sweeps Through Central Ohio
- ‘Prepare to leave’: Flood evacuation orders as Sydney faces wettest weekend since 1998
- UK weather: More snow 'imminent' as flood-hit Brits warned Storm Jorge 'not good news'
- 2019 was bad year for floods and drought in England, say charities
- UN: Disastrous Flooding Affects Thousands in Kenya
- Storm Dennis triggers record number of flood warnings in England
- UK weather: Family's house almost completely underwater in shocking flood photos
- UK’s Johnson under fire for flood response as more rain due
- UK weather: Shrewsbury flooded as 400 tonnes of water a second submerges town
- UK weather: Heavy snow and floods today as icy blast from Greenland hits Britain
- It's not the 'Year of the Woman.' It's the 'Year of the Women'
- Where to go for the best chances of sun every month of the year – and they won’t break the bank
- Chinese stocks plunged 8% as coronavirus fears took hold. It's the worst day in years
- 'A totally new normal': Two years later, recovery mixed in communities hit hard by historic flood
- Heavy rain triggers mudslide, shatters Los Angeles County rainfall records
- Faced With Floods and Suicides, US Readies for Warmer World
- Scientists expect spring floods to be milder than last year
- Brazil's gangs emerge as major cocaine exporters, flooding Europe with white powder
- Tacloban: a year after typhoon Haiyan
- All the Festivals We Lost This Year
Tam Dao heavily flooded after 60-year record rainfall have 527 words, post on dtinews.vn at May 26, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.