HÀ NỘI — Nguyễn Thị Oanh won the first gold of the 31st SEA Games on the second official day in athletics at Hà Nội's Mỹ Đình Stadium.
Oanh defended her title in the women's 1,500m event after finishing with a time of 4min 14.98sec.
Her teammate Khuất Phương Anh came second in 4:26.90, and Singapore representative Goh Chui Ling was third in 4:33.41.
It was Oanh's third time winning this event at the SEA Games. This year she ran about three seconds faster than three years ago in the Philippines.
"I am happy to win the first gold medal for Việt Nam in athletics. I hope that it will be a good start for the track-and-field team. Together we will complete and exceed our assigned target," Oanh said.
She will continue to defend her second title women's 5,000m event in the afternoon.
Her teammate Phạm Thị Hồng Lệ will also take part in the race.
Also in the afternoon, there are many other events organised.
National champion Trần Văn Đảng and Lương Đức Phước will defend Việt Nam's title in the men's 1,500m. Reigning champion Dương Văn Thái will not compete in this SEA Games as he has not performed at his peak recently.
The 400m mixed relay team will also compete to keep the title for Việt Nam. At the Manila Games, the event was organised for the first time, and Việt Nam came first and set a record of 3:19.50.
Debutante Ngần Ngọc Nghĩa will compete in the men's 200m.
Nguyễn Hoài Văn will take part in the men's javelin.
In the triple jump, Trần Văn Điền and Nguyễn Thượng Đức will test their skills.
Another gold for Việt Nam belonged to wushu martial artist Dương Thúy Vi who succeeded in the women's qiangshu (spear) event.
Vi topped the ranking with a 9.7-point performance, bagging her second title this Games after the first one in the jianshu (straight sword). Her teammate Nông Văn Hữu secured bronze in the men's nanquan (southern boxing style).
In rowing, Phạm Thị Huệ won her title in the women’s single sculls at the Games in the Thủy Nguyên Boat Racing Centre in Hải Phòng City.
Duo Lường Thị Thảo and Đinh Thị Hảo won in the lightweight women’s double sculls.
Teammates Trần Dương Nghĩa and Phạm Mạnh Linh came second in the men's pair event. VNS
- Olympics: Valieva makes history as Russians win gold
- Olympic gold medalist and former rower Dame Katherine Grainger named as new chair of UK Sport
- Celebrity Big Brother: Miesha Tate wins first HOH contest after rejecting deal by Teddi Mellencamp
- Alexander Zverev has 'no idea' where his Olympic gold medal has been for five months
- Canada Wins Men’s Olympic Curling Gold
- Zoi Sadowski-Synnott Earns New Zealand’s First Winter Olympics Gold Medal With Women’s Snowboard Slopestyle Win
- Naomi Osaka Strikes Gold With Defeat Of Serena Williams In U.S. Open Final
- Veteran helps Team China win 1st gold at Beijing 2022
- Singapore congratulates Joseph Schooling on his historic Olympic win
- Kiwi snow star Zoi Sadowski-Synnott 'so stoked' after gold at X Games in Aspen
- Meet the Winter Olympic gold medal hope who posed naked for Playboy magazine
- Single winning Mega Millions ticket with estimated prize of $421 million sold in California
- Marcell Jacobs says Olympics 100m win came from 'blood, sweat and tears', not doping
- Winter Olympics: Zoi Sadowski-Synnott made to wait for ceremony for historic gold medal
- Red Gerard already has a gold medal. Now he knows what he wants.
- Which Figure Skaters Have a Good Shot at Gold?
- First gold of Beijing Winter Olympics lets athletes shine over politics
- Fairfax County Public Schools: FCPS Student Artists Recognized In 2022 Regional Scholastic Art Awards
- Thugwane Wins Closest-Ever Marathon : South African Triumphs As Games Come to Close
- Never Yield and Broken Sword 5 lead February's Xbox Games with Gold
Runner, rowers, wushu artists win golds Saturday morning have 739 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 14, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.