WASHINGTON — Vietnamese Prime Minister Phạm Minh Chính met with his Lao counterpart Phankham Viphavanh in Washington DC on May 13 afternoon (US time) as part of his trip to the US.
The Vietnamese PM conveyed the regards of Party General Secretary Nguyễn Phú Trọng, President Nguyễn Xuân Phúc, and Chairman of the National Assembly Vương Đình Huệ to the Lao PM and other Party and State leaders of Laos.
He congratulated Laos on its results in the fight against COVID-19 and reopening, highly valuing the two countries' sound cooperation in bilateral frameworks and at regional and international forums.
The Lao PM spoke highly of Việt Nam's recent achievements, especially in bringing the pandemic under control and promptly reopening its borders for socio-economic, and thanked Việt Nam for its cooperation and support over the years.
The two PMs rejoiced at the sound development of the Việt Nam-Laos great friendship, special solidarity and comprehensive cooperation.
Since the start of 2022, the countries have arranged exchanges of delegations at all levels, notably an official visit to Việt Nam by the Lao PM in January.
They have collaborated to ensure the effective implementation of high-level agreements and those adopted at the 44th meeting of the Inter-Governmental Committee chaired by the two PMs in the Vietnamese capital earlier this year.
Two-way trade hit US$403.6 million in the first quarter of 2022, posting a year-on-year surge of 19.22 per cent. Cooperation in national defence-security, education-training, transport and energy has been promoted.
The PMs agreed to continue collaboration to carry out agreements between the Parties and States efficiently; maintain delegation exchanges and regular meetings of high-ranking officials; step up key cooperation projects; and join hands for activities in the Việt Nam – Laos Solidarity and Friendship Year 2022 to mark the 60th founding anniversary of diplomatic ties and 45 years since the signing of the Laos – Việt Nam Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation (July 18, 1977).
Exchanging viewpoints on issues of mutual concern, they consented to closely work and support each other at regional and international forums, particularly the United Nations, ASEAN and subregion cooperation mechanisms, thereby maintaining solidarity, unity and the central role of ASEAN amid current challenges in the region and the world.
On the sidelines of the ASEAN-US Special Summit, PM Chính also met with Indonesian President Joko Widodo, Malaysian PM Dato’ Sri Ismail Sabri Bin Yaakoba, and Thai PM Prayuth Chan-o-cha to bolster bilateral cooperation and discuss regional and international issues of common concern. — VNS
- Hardik Satishchandra Shah is now PM Modi’s private secretary
- Rumble in the Jungle? Cambodia Threatens War Over Laos Border Dispute
- Lao leaders pleased with progress, quality of Vietnamese-built NA building
- 2,000 sat phones, drones, 35k troops: How PM Modi prepped for Article 370 endgame
- India’s development cooperation does not come with any conditions: PM Modi
- Chinese premier holds talks with Lao PM
- PM works with HCMC leaders on city’s socioeconomic issues
- Modi-Trump Meeting: Indian PM Gets Fresh Arrows in His Quiver on H-1B Visa Issue
- Long way to go in the fight against COVID-19: Deputy PM
- Italian Deputy PM Demands EU Border Protection 'Before Taking a Single Migrant'
- Boris Johnson holds first face-to-face Cabinet meeting in almost five months to urge Brits to go back to work
- Steering Committee for Vietnam-China Bilateral Cooperation holds 12th meeting
- Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov and Iranian Counterpart Zarif Hold Presser in Moscow - Video
- ‘Will Continue to Remain Out’: Canadian PM Trudeau Opposes Russia’s Potential Return to G7
- China at center of US-Australia meeting on shared challenges
- Upcoming Modi-Trump Meeting to Be an Exercise in Stress Management
- Border Tensions: Why India Won't Become Washington's Bulwark Against China
- Kremlin Reveals Details of Putin-Trump Meeting in Helsinki
- UK PM says justice needed for UK teen killed in crash involving U.S. diplomat's wife
- Pompeo to discuss tackling China with PM Johnson after Huawei ban
PM Chính meets with Lao counterpart in Washington have 661 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 14, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.