HÀ NỘI — A bilingual book by foreign authors is among the official nominees for the Dế Mèn Awards, honouring works by or for children.
The book, entitled Chiếc Dép Thất Lạc (The Lost Sandal), is a picture book for children by Belgian writer Geralda De Vos and Swedish illustrator Sofia Holt. They are living and working in Việt Nam.
The book is a story of a girl named Linh who loses one of her favourite sandals and her adventure to reclaim it.
De Vos came to Việt Nam in 2017 and has participated in environmental protection activities such as plastic waste reduction and recycling activities.
She has called on people to pick up and return people’s lost items. She began picking up lost sandals on the street, which became her inspiration for the book, The Lost Sanda l.
Illustrator Holt came to HCM City in 2014. She is now working as a fashion and furniture designer, and an illustrator, creating artworks about a happier and more sustainable world. The book can be bought at the publisher's website and on online shopping platforms.
The book was translated into Vietnamese by Kim Ngọc and published by Kim Đồng Publishing House.
The simple story is funny and light-hearted to inspire little readers' sentiment toward their beloved objects in a consumer society, according to the award organisation board.
Dế Mèn Awards was launched by the Vietnam News Agency's Thể Thao Văn Hóa (Culture & Sport) newspaper in 2020 aiming at honouring the best works by and for children.
The award title is named after the main character in Dế Mèn Phiêu Lưu Ký (Diary of a Cricket) by Tô Hoài.
The awards include one grand prize named Hiệp Sĩ Dế Mèn (Cricket Night) and several other awards called Khát Vọng Dế Mèn (Cricket Design).
This year, most of the shortlisted works are long stories and only Nguyễn Vũ An Băng’s is a short story collection.
Băng is also the youngest writer at the award. She is nine years old from Quỳnh Lôi Primary School in Hai Bà Trưng District, Hà Nội.
Six-member jury panel is chaired by poet Trần Đăng Khoa, deputy-president of Việt Nam Writers' Association.
The awards will be announced on May 31 in Hà Nội. An auction will be held at the award ceremony to raise funds for schools in the mountainous and remote areas.
The auction items will be a hand-painted Vespa motorcycle by artist Lê Kinh Tài; a Swiss-made watch Ernest Borel GS8380C-221; and paintings and other items of pop-cultural significance by celebrities. — VNS
- Dead men do tell tales
- A new book challenges the myth of the ever-chic 'Parisienne'
- From Black Lives Matter to Bleak House: David Lammy picks the best books about justice
- GQ Men Of The Year Awards 2019: Rita Ora puts on a VERY busty display in black lace bra and matching skirt as she takes to the red carpet
- Oscar Isaac to play Apocalypse in new X-Men film
- Celebrating Māori success with the Matariki Awards
- ‘Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory’: Its Road to the Academy Awards
- Onifade’s new book discusses Nigeria’s Liberation
- Dear Evan Hansen: How to book tickets to hit show as it comes to London in October
- Watson the front of your letter! Sherlock Holmes is honoured in new set of stamps featuring Benedict Cumberbatch as the famous detective and new book cover illustrations
- Black science fiction writers face 'universal' racism, study finds
- Bittersweet symphony
- Misogyny Is Boring As Hell
- 100 Pop-Culture Things That Make You a Millennial
- BE Exclusive: In conversation with Ajay Gahlaut
- Secret Europe escapes: where locals go on holiday
- Dancing with the Stars Season 25 Cast Includes Debbie Gibson & Frankie Muniz
- “I Killed Them All.” The Life Of One Of America’s Bloodiest Hitmen
- The 43 best movies on Disney+ right now
- Hockey World Cup 2018: Shah Rukh Khan, Madhuri Dixit and AR Rahman glitter at opening ceremony
Bilingual book nomiated for Dế Mèn Award have 689 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 25, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.