HCM CITY — Chợ Rẫy Hospital in HCM City has successfully conducted the country's first ABO-incompatible living-donor kidney transplant.
Trần Thị Hạnh, 51, of Bến Tre Province volunteered to donate one of her kidneys to her husband, Vi Văn Biết, 54, who had end-stage renal disease and has been on dialysis for more than a year.
Her blood type is A and his is B.
The surgery was done on December 29 and the couple are now in stable condition.
To prepare for the transplant, the patient received treatment to lower antibody levels in his blood and reduce the risk of his antibodies rejecting the donor kidney, doctors said.
Assoc Prof Thái Minh Sâm, head of the hospital's department of urology, said around 300 patients register for a kidney transplant at the hospital every year, but only a third of them undergo surgery due to various reasons, including having a living donor with a different blood type.
ABO-incompatible kidney transplant is performed in many countries, and the hospital has sent doctors and surgeons to leading hospitals abroad to learn the procedure in recent years, Sâm said.
Given the severe shortage of deceased donors, the ABO-incompatible living donor kidney transplant would help more patients who are on dialysis to get a transplant, he added. —VNS
- Dr. Barbara Murphy, Kidney Transplant Expert, Dies at 56
- Why Selena Gomez Needed a Kidney Transplant to Treat Her Lupus
- Marked increase in Scottish kidney transplants
- 10-Year-Old Girl Dying of Disease to Receive Kidney Transplant From Teacher
- Kevin McDonald: Fulham midfielder set for kidney transplant on Friday with brother as donor
- ‘He Deserves To Live’: Delaware County Man Needs Life-Saving Kidney Transplant
- Taupō mayor who had kidney transplant takes medical leave
- Is ABOi transplant an option for kidney disease patients?
- The pandemic disrupted organ transplants. But these three siblings aren't giving up
- Selena Gomez 'Doing Great' Post Transplant, Says Donor's Mom
- Two women chatted in a bathroom - they soon realised they were each a match for the other's husband, who needed a kidney
- Chicago Seeking To Become Organ Transplant Hub
- Two women chatted in a bathroom. They soon realized they were each a match for the other's husband, who needed a kidney.
- ‘Becoming a registered organ donor is a no-brainer – but they can’t have my eyes’
- US father gives daughter life-saving gift as living organ donor
- Selena Gomez Says She Is 'Forever Grateful' for Friend and Donor Francia Raisa on World Kidney Day
- Woman shows she has 'no bad blood' with husband's ex-wife by giving her a kidney
- Cadaver liver transplant a better choice: expert
- Selena Gomez appears to reconcile with ex-BFF & kidney donor Francia Raisa three years after nasty falling-out
- Francia Raisa Reveals Scar While Working Out Months After Donating Kidney to BFF Selena Gomez
VN’s first ABO-incompatible living-donor kidney transplant done at Chợ Rẫy have 488 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at January 24, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.