Viet Nam Maritime Corporation (VIMC) had great performance in 2021, earning around VND3.75 trillion (US$165 million), according to Nguyen Canh Tinh, general director of the shipping giant.
By the end of 2021, VIMC's revenues hit over VND19.6 trillion ($862.5 million), up 24 per cent year-on-year and 29 per cent higher than the target.
Notably, its earnings took a steep turn for the better, soaring from a loss of VND145.3 billion ($6.4 million) in 2020 to a profit of trillions.
Tinh said the disruption of global supply chains due to COVID-19 had been pushing freight rates up significantly. VIMC has switched from domestic to international transportation in order to turn the rising freight rates to its advantage and succeeded.
"Profits did not come out of thin air but due to our anticipation of rising freight rates since early 2021. We have re-arranged all our shipping routes and had our freighters engaging in international transportation in order to take advantage of the situation,” Tinh explained.
Seaport exploitation continued to be VIMC's most profitable operation, contributing a lion's share of 78 per cent to total consolidated profit.
Sai Gon Port, Quy Nhon Port and Hai Phong Port were among seaports that did well last year, Tinh added.
The general director also revealed that freight rates were quite low previously owing to a decade of depression.
It was the ongoing pandemic that has lifted transport costs up worldwide, especially on long routes. In 2022, freight rates are expected to rise at a slower pace but unlikely to drop to pre-pandemic levels.
By late 2021, VIMC has topped VND36.6 trillion in market cap, with around 12,447 employees on its payroll. — VNS
- Financial records show Pirates still win
- Cheat Sheet: Talking Cutler for MVP
- Week 13 NFL cheat sheet
- Can you win your tourney pool? You bet
- APNewsBreak: Firm gets Iowa sports rights to 2026
- Pujols: $240 million and 4 season tickets
- Inside the world of competitive eating
- United refinances high-interest debt, cuts costs
- Man Utd reduce interest bill
- International Speedway Corporation Reports Financial Results for theThird Quarter of Fiscal
- Whittaker, Naismith ‘agree pay cut’
- HALL OF FAME BREAKFAST THIS SATURDAY
- Selig approves Marlins-Blue Jays blockbuster
- Marlins’ big trade to Jays finalized
- Golf in Cuba: Is the communist gov’t really game?
- IndyCar returning to Milwaukee in 2011
- Making the Best of It;NCAA Probation Costly for UNM
- AP Interview: Platini weighs role in FIFA contest
- Penn St. scandal should force Paterno out
VIMC records a profit of VND3.75 trillion in 2021 have 410 words, post on bizhub.vn at January 18, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.