Prof Ngo Bao Chau, a Vietnamese mathematician who was awarded the Fields Medal in 2010, told VietNamNet that he is a visiting lecturer at the Institute for Advanced Study in Mathematics of HIT in China.
Prof Ngo Bao Chau
Rumors circulated that Chau, with the Chinese name Wu Baozhu 吴宝珠, is a head professor at the institute, not a guest or visiting lecturer.
However, Chau has denied that he is a permanent member of the staff of the institute.
He told VietNamNet that some years ago, he went to Harbin several times to give lectures. During one of the visits, the head of the institute gave him an official reception and a campaign medal, and informed that he was always welcome to work at the school as a visiting lecturer.
He gives lectures at many universities all over the world and cooperates with many schools and institutes. The trips to Harbin are the same.
In general, when he lectures somewhere, he returns there again to ensure that his work can bring results. Chau accepted the invitation of the institute's leader, intending to return two or three more times and cooperate with a mathematician there.
However, because of the pandemic, he still cannot return there. For the time being, Chau has many projects and he is not sure if he can return to Harbin in the near future.
Chau also denied that he has a Chinese name.
The university reported an official meeting between Chau and the leader in Chinese language. Chinese usually transcribe foreigners' names into Chinese. With Google translation, this turned into a fake piece of news.
Chau has said many times that it information on social media that he is a member of the Institute for Advanced Study in Mathematics of HIT, has a Chinese name (Baozhu) and is an official member of the institute's personnel is false.
"I'm not a regular member of any university in China. In general, I don't intend to work for long term in any place in China. I just go to work as visiting lecturer and cooperate in scientific research," he said.
Chau said that he is now a regular member of the University of Chicago, and his responsibility in Vietnam is science director of the Institute for Vietnam Advanced Study in Mathematics.
In 2020-2025, he will be a visiting lecturer at College de France and the work will involve short-term trips.
The Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT) was established in 1920. It is a prestigious research university in China.
Thanh Hung – Doan Hung
- 'Get a grip and test': Oxford University lecturer who was DENIED a coronavirus swab after being rushed to hospital with breathing difficulties slams Boris Johnson for failing to provide more tests
- Chinese president begins UK state visit with show of strength
- 20,000 could die, says government as UK coronavirus deaths increase by SIXTEEN to 71 – including Britain’s youngest victim, 45 – and infections soar by 407 to 1,950 – but the real number could be over 70,000
- Chinese donors to Australian political parties: who gave how much?
- Coronavirus latest: French President Macron says 'we are at war' as he orders lockdown
- If they don't want people to come why have they not told us to shut? Hospitality industry demands official shutdown order so they can claim insurance - although insurers say they might not pay out
- NHS coronavirus battle plan: Hospitals told to cancel non-emergency operations for three months and pay for staff to stay in hotels if a family member has tell-tale symptoms
- Coronavirus: Health system alarm as specialists miss out on protective gear
- Blood in the time of corona: Why donations are needed more than ever
- Igbo Coup, Biafra: Damola Awoyokun, Too Small To Be A Hercules(2)
- Victorian tourist sites shut as toll spreads across state and tops 150
- All Is Fair In War And Love? By Mazi Chike Chidolue
- PM to put out plan to stop effect of coronavirus on businesses amid death toll prediction
- Coronavirus: Study Abroad Suspended - UC Davis
- Coronavirus: Information Line Now In Service - UC Davis
- Coronavirus: How To Report Positive Test - UC Davis
- Coronavirus: Unitrans Scales Back - UC Davis
- Coronavirus: Campus Operations Suspended - UC Davis
- Coronavirus: Statewide Stay-At-Home Order - UC Davis
- All Is Fair In War And Love?(2)
Prof Ngo Bao Chau says he is visiting lecturer for Chinese institute, not a permanent member have 699 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at January 26, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.