Newcastle United have reportedly found an alternative centre-back to sign, should their attempts to bring Sevilla’s Diego Carlos to St James’ Park prove unsuccessful.
Marseille defender Duje Caleta-Car is said to have emerged as an option for Eddie Howe’s side if they fail to land their top target this month.
It comes following reports the Magpies could swoop for Arsenal goalkeeper Bernd Leno after the German’s fall from grace at the Emirates Stadium.
Reports also suggest Newcastle are ready to deal a secondary blow to the Gunners by trumping their bid to sign Fiorentina’s goal-machine Dusan Vlahovic by offering him more money than their Premier League rivals.
Daily Star Sport has taken a look at the latest Newcastle United transfer news below.
Diego Carlos alternative ‘found’
Newcastle could move for Marseille’s Croatian centre-back Duje Caleta-Car if their bid to sign Sevilla’s Diego Carlos fails, it has been claimed.
90min reports Newcastle “have held talks” with the player and his representatives, but face competition for his signature from Premier League rivals West Ham.
The player is reportedly available on loan with a view to a permanent deal, which could suit the Magpies as they battle against relegation from the top-flight.
Who would you like to see Newcastle sign during this month’s January transfer window? Let us know in the comments below
Newcastle are set to bring German goalkeeper Bernd Leno to the club, as soon as Arsenal sign his replacement, it is reported.
According to Sky Sports Germany, the Magpies are “courting” Leno, although the Arsenal player is said to think that playing in the English second tier is “out of the question”.
That means a summer move could be more likely – once Newcastle have secured their Premier League future.
Arsenal already seem set to bring in Leno’s replacement, with reports linking American New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner to the club.
Don’t miss a thing with our football updates!
Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?
Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don’t miss a thing.
How do you sign up?
It only takes a matter of seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit ‘subscribe’.
And that’s it, job done. You’ll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.
You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.
Vlahovic offer made
Newcastle United are reportedly ready to hand Fiorentina striker Dusan Vlahovic more money than he has been offered elsewhere in a bid to bring the prolific goalscorer to St James’ Park.
According to The Independent , Newcastle have told Vlahovic’s camp they can pay him more than Arsenal.
The striker, who has scored 17 goals and provided two assists in 21 Serie A matches so far this season, is one of the hottest properties in world football with reports linking him with a January move to the Premier League.
It appears the Magpies have a big job on their hands to convince the striker to join them, however, with the report adding that Vlahovic has told Newcastle’s owners, the Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, he is not interested in the move.
- Arsenal set to 'walk away' from Aaron Ramsdale £30m transfer after fresh negotiations row
- Arsenal chief Edu has four options to solve Gunners' biggest transfer dilemma
- Arsenal transfer chief Edu 'intends to submit new bid' for top target Aaron Ramsdale
- Five strikers Arsenal could target after missing out on Tammy Abraham transfer
- Arsenal identify Lautaro Martinez transfer alternative who Tottenham also want to sign
- Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ramsdale £24m advanced talks, Lautaro Martinez £275k-a-week offer, Bernardo Silva update
- Arsenal 'divise new four-man transfer shortlist' after three targets cut by Arteta and Edu
- Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Odegaard deal nears conclusion, President of Rwanda slams Gunners, Brentford loss reaction
- Arsenal hold ‘transfer interest’ in Newcastle goalkeeper Freddie Woodman in hunt for Aaron Ramsdale alternative
- Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Conte LATEST, Xhaka NEW contract, Lautaro Martinez BID, Aubameyang and Lacazette to Barca
- Arsenal must avoid transfer dilemma after Joe Willock sale and have three main targets
- Arsenal 'waiting on Martin Odegaard green light' before launching Real Madrid bid
- Arsenal transfer shortlist: Five midfielders Gunners could try to sign before deadline day
- Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Maddison £60m LATEST, Aouar Gunners move updates, Bruno Guimaraes £25.6m offer
- Willock vs Odegaard: Are Arsenal getting an upgrade on academy star they sold to Newcastle by signing Real Madrid ace?
- Martin Odegaard ‘signs five-year contract at Arsenal after £34m transfer from Real Madrid and could play vs Chelsea’
- Martin Odegaard backing himself to lead Arsenal into new era and ex-Real star has no problem with great expectations
- Jose Mourinho personally calls Tammy Abraham as Chelsea accept transfer bid from Roma – but Arsenal ‘still in race’
- Cristiano Ronaldo to PSG LATEST updates, Kane named in Spurs squad, Chelsea want Bellingham – transfer news live
- Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham AGREES Roma move, Cristiano Ronaldo ‘to PSG with Messi if Mbappe leaves’ – transfer news live
Newcastle find Diego Carlos alternative, chase Leno, trump Arsenal's Vlahovic bid have 865 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at January 22, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.