Two bridges across the Ka Long River in Quang Ninh have become home to over 1,000 trucks that have been unable to cross the border.
Some have been there for a few days, and others for two months. Drivers have to pay a parking fee of VND100,000 ($4.3) a day.
Around 100 vehicles are allowed to cross the bridges into China each day, meaning trucks have to wait on the road for their turn.
Each truck takes 10-15 minutes to complete customs procedures after China tightened safety measures.
Nguyen Ba Tai, 33, has not been able to return to his hometown in the central province of Khanh Hoa for two months as he waits to drive his truck into China.
It is carrying frozen fish from the southern province of Tien Giang, but has not been allowed to cross the border for 40 days. He has rented a cold storage to keep the fish at a cost of VND1.5 million a day.
Although Mong Cai customs authorities have advised truck drivers to stop coming to the gate, dozens still show up each day.
If trucks stop coming, they estimate the pileup will be cleared by Tet , the New Year in both countries, which is in the first week of February this year.
- Party leader pays working visit to Quang Ninh province
- SEA Games 31: Free entry to all competitions in Quang Ninh
- Border exchanges – A spotlight amid pandemic
- Seventh Vietnam-China Border Defense Friendship Exchange begins
- Tay Ninh announces establishment of border guard station at Tan Nam international border gate
- Cargo ship collision threatens oil slick off Ninh Thuan
- Three family members killed after truck crashes into house while descending slope in Vietnam
- China's Covid controls risk sparking crisis for the country -- and its leader Xi Jinping
- Mexican Cartel Gunmen Torch Trucks at Border Port to Protest New Texas Checkpoints
- China's widening COVID curbs threaten global supply chain paralysis
- Defense ministers of Vietnam, China hold talks on boosting friendship, cooperation
- Vietnam, China hold seventh Border Defence Friendship Exchange
- Seventh Vietnam - China Border Defence Friendship Exchange: Inheriting, multiplying friendship
- Final preparation for 7th Vietnam-China Border Defense Friendship Exchange
- Thailand wants China-Vietnam checkpoints open 24 hours to ease fruit exports
- Shifting power in Asia: Inside the Pakistani port town China is using to build its 'own Dubai'
- Containers stack up at China’s ports as lockdown blocks trucks
- China port congestion leaves everything from grains to metals stranded
- China's economic data hints at cost of zero COVID strategy
- Videos shows 282 dogs, some destined for meat trade, being rescued in China
1,000 container trucks held up at Quang Ninh Province border with China have 483 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at January 22, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.