|Vietnam continues to escape US currency manipulator status|
The US Department of the Treasury has just delivered its semiannual Report to Congress on Macroeconomic and Foreign Exchange Policies of Major Trading Partners of the US. In this report, Treasury reviewed and assessed the policies of major trading partners, who make up more than 80 per cent of US foreign trade in goods and services, during the four quarters through June 2021.
In accordance with the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988 (the 1988 Act), the report concludes that no major US trading partner manipulated exchange rates between its currency and the US dollar to prevent effective balance of payments adjustments or gain unfair competitive advantage in international trade.
Accordingly, Vietnam continues to meet all three criteria under the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 (the 2015 Act) during the period under review. The Treasury has conducted an enhanced analysis of Vietnam's macroeconomic and foreign exchange policies.
As a result of discussions through the enhanced engagement process, the Treasury and the State Bank of Vietnam (SBV) reached an agreement in July 2021 to address the Treasury's concerns about Vietnam's currency practices. The US department continues to engage closely with the SBV on Vietnam's progress in addressing its concerns and is satisfied with the progress made by Vietnam to date.
In April 2021, the US removed Vietnam from the list of economies it considers currency manipulators, reversing a decision made by the Trump administration in December 2020. The decision was made based on insufficient evidence to conclude the country is manipulating their exchange rates in the reviewed period.
By Vy Nguyen
- ‘The Terror’ Episode 8 ‘Terror Camp Clear’ Kills the Franklin Expedition’s Last Hope
- US Justice Department opens criminal probe into bitcoin price manipulation
- China, Vietnam Use Tourism to Spar over Maritime Sovereignty
- How the Christian Right Was Molded By Anti-Vietnam War Protests
- Bahrain is betting on 80 billion barrels of oil to help clear its budget deficit
- Keeping Pressure on Iran
- How to announce your relationship status online
- THE COMPANIES WE KEEP
- Indonesia, Vietnam brace for market blowouts
- Mother’s Day in Vietnam
- Where Brooklyn Tenants Plead the Case for Keeping Their Homes
- How to manipulate Facebook and Twitter instead of letting them manipulate you
- West Africa: Keeping Power in Check
- Every day one local Vietnam vet picks up trash and prays for everyone who passes him
- Zhang Wen (章文): Continue to be a Clear-Minded Patriot in 2009
- Opinion: Time to reflect on the lessons of Vietnam — and the sacrifice
- Here's how Russian manipulators were able to target Facebook users
- The rise of Hindu radicalisation, mass manipulation and the remaking of India
- US Army veteran went on to serve with 1st Marine Division in Vietnam War
- Vietnam is a frontier market for good reason
Vietnam keeps clear of US currency manipulator status have 444 words, post on vir.com.vn at December 5, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.