A total 11,826 cars were registered Wednesday, compared to around 1,200 a day in the last week of November, according to the General Department of Taxation.
Wednesday was the first day a government decree, which gives locally produced and assembled cars a registration fee discount of 50 percent for six months, came into effect.
The day’s figure alone exceeds the total number of registration in August at 8,800 units.
“We are mobilizing all our staff to resolve the surge in demand for registration,” a media representative of the taxation department said.
Car dealers have also seen the number of customers triple after the new decree was announced.
This is the second time in the last two years such a cut is being made to mitigate the difficulties faced by the auto industry due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
In the first six months last year, 17,600 cars were bought on average each month. In the second half, when the 50 percent cut took effect, sales doubled.
Registration fees are calculated based on car prices in each locality. The rates are 12 percent in Hanoi and Hai Phong, and 10 percent in Ho Chi Minh City.
Last year, car sales had fallen by 8 percent to 296,634 units as the Covid-19 pandemic badly affected the economy, hitting incomes and discretionary spending.
- English National Parks clogged by cars because of 'severe' rural bus cuts
- Sugar stocks rally up to 10% as ISMA cuts output estimate
- Re-registration fee of old vehicles to witness steep rise
- Power to the EV: Norway spearheads Europe's electric vehicle surge
- Car sales slump as economy hits speed bump and dealers face growing vehicle sharing challenge
- Why veering Germans away from cars is tough
- Electric cars — when will the stars align?
- France to ban sales of petrol and diesel cars by 2040
- The most expensive cars in the world
- Is your ‘check engine’ light on? Here are 10 possible reasons why
- The best cars for small businesses
- Porsche turns the 700-hp 911 GT2 RS into the track car it deserves to be
- A six-point guide for car purchase this festive season
- The best car songs for 2019
- Vintage cars and hot rods shine in Pearland show
- Aluminum-carbon nanotubes could replace copper wiring in cars, report says
- Ford’s upcoming electric cars will share VW’s Electrify America charging network
- Electric car revolution: calculating the cost of green motoring
- What numbers don't say about car sales
- Despite hefty price tag, Samsung says there is demand for the ‘Galaxy Fold’ in India
Car registration surges 10-fold with fee cut have 390 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at December 2, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.