It is possible to keep inflation under 4 percent this year, but there are risks of high inflation next year, as some countries have seen record-high inflation as the prices of some commodities like oil surge, Governor of the State Bank of Vietnam Nguyen Thi Hong told a National Assembly meeting Friday.
In the U.S., Consumer Price Index (CPI), which measures inflation, in October rose 6.2 percent year-on-year, the highest since 1990.
South Korea's inflation also exceeded 3 percent for the first time since 2012.
“For economies with high trade openness like Vietnam, inflation risks are very high,” Hong told lawmakers.
Another concern is rising bad debt among banks, which have urged them to use their own resources to deal with the issue.
“Dwindling resources will affect the security of the system,” she said, adding Vietnam should avoid repeating the same story as in 2008-2009 when inflation surged after an economic crisis.
The SBV has cut its rates on three occasions this year by a total 1.5-2 percent, considered large compared to regional countries, Hong said.
Banks have lowered their lending rates by 1.66 percentage points from pre-pandemic levels with a total value of around VND30 trillion ($1.32 billion).
- US Panel Backs COVID-19 Boosters Only For Elderly, High-Risk
- Vietnam warns of risk of floods, landslides after storm weakens
- After Tense Fights, An FDA Panel Said Pfizer Boosters Should Go To Older Adults And Others At High Risk
- Travelers to New York from high-risk states face $2K fine if they don't register
- Vaccines to be mandatory for high-risk workers in the NT
- Basic rate taxpayers could now face 'high income' tax charge as Rishi Sunak pays for Covid
- 'High-risk offender' who slashed victim's throat to be closely monitored after release from prison
- F.D.A. Advisory Panel Recommends Pfizer Boosters for Older People and Others at High Risk
- FDA authorizes Pfizer COVID-19 booster shots for seniors and others at high risk
- High-risk social media stunts see hundreds charged each year
- Unvaccinated pregnant women face increased risks from COVID
- West Lane Hospital patients 'at high risk of avoidable harm'
- Influential FDA Panel Votes Down Widespread Pfizer Booster; Approves Third Shot For 65 & Older + Those At “High Risk”
- Priti Patel faces High Court as asylum seekers left in 'unfit' Covid hell barracks
- UNFPA associated with Vietnam’s achievements in productive health
- The next Great Inflation is coming, and the Fed is complicit
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 12
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 16
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES SEPTEMBER 21
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 24
Vietnam faces high risk of inflation next year: governor have 395 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 12, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.