Nguyen Thi Thu Huong, deputy director of the department, said Sunday the cause of the death of the 16-year-old male student was initially determined as “overreaction to the vaccine.”
He was first treated at the Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi with a female student of the same age, also suffering from severe anaphylaxis after receiving the Pfizer vaccine on November 24 in Son Dong District. Another two students with less severe reaction are being treated in the district.
A Bach Mai hospital representative said that the girl remained in critical condition and doctors were trying their best to save her.
The anaphylaxis cases happened when 700 students were vaccinated with Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine at a mobile vaccination station set up at the Son Dong High School No. 2 and Ethnic Minority Boarding School in the eponymous district.
About 15-30 minutes after inoculation, four students had anaphylaxis symptoms. Two of them had severe reactions like dizziness, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea, pale skin, slow heart rate, and blood oxygen saturation index below 90 percent, compared to the normal rate of 95-100 percent.
On receiving the two students, doctors at the Bach Mai Hospital immediately treated them with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), focusing on improving their cardiopulmonary functions.
Nearly 30 provinces and cities have vaccinated children 12-17 years old with more than 2 million doses. More than 23.1 percent of the children in the age group have received at least one dose.
Since November 12, Bac Giang has vaccinated children 12-18 years old with nearly 174,000 doses.
The Health Ministry said that vaccinations in other localities happened safely. The most common reactions in children after receiving the Covid vaccine are mild fever, muscle pain, and arm pain, it noted.
Vietnam has approved two vaccines of Pfizer and Moderna for vaccinating children between 12-17 years of age.
Bac Giang has recorded over 6,969 Covid-19 cases in the fourth coronavirus wave, with 15 deaths. Over 1.2 million people have been vaccinated, and more than 820,000 million have received two doses.
- Up to three quarters of side effects caused by the Covid vaccine may be down to the 'nocebo' effect, study claims
- Covid vaccine: Shocking side effect to be aware of after recent death report
- Pressure mounts for effective boosters as fully vaccinated nurse dies of Covid-19
- California could let teenagers get COVID vaccine without parental consent
- After woman’s death, doctor talks about birth control pills and Covid vaccine risks
- COVID-19 Sunday Update: Record low deaths, prison outbreak
- More than a million Queenslanders are unvaccinated against COVID, so who's at risk when the borders reopen?
- COVID in Europe: Netherlands to reopen shops, gyms, and hairdressers
- Singer dies after deliberately catching COVID-19
- Why is COVID-19 more deadly in Brazil than India right now?
- Kids who get COVID can develop a rare but dangerous complication weeks later. Here's how to spot it
- COVID Cases In San Francisco Dropping Steadily Following Omicron Peak
- Teen girl dies after second dose of COVID-19 vaccine in northern Vietnam
- School will soon resume in the NT. First, parents and students must learn new COVID rules
- China Holds the Line on ‘Zero Covid,’ but Some Wonder for How Long
- IATF places 4 provinces under Alert Level 4
- 'No vaccine, no booze': Quebec introduces new restrictions for the unvaccinated
- Covid fears, financial hardship rain on Tet parade
- The Illness Now Has a Name, COVID-19
- Covid-19 Australia: Signs NSW outbreak is easing as state records its deadliest day
Student dies after receiving Covid vaccine in northern province have 549 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.