The success of the visit strongly conveyed a message on Vietnam’s desire to promote multifaceted and practical relations with Switzerland through new cooperation orientations, and potentials in economy, trade and investment. The trip affirmed Vietnam’s policy of attaching importance to cooperation with the U.N. as well as specialized U.N. organizations based in Switzerland; as well as of mobilizing support for Vietnam's efforts for COVID-19 prevention and control, recovery and socio-economic development in the coming time via innovation, creativity and implementation of sustainable development goals.
On November 26 (local time), the Swiss President hosted an official welcome ceremony for his Vietnamese counterpart in Bern city.
The two leaders held talks following the ceremony. In the spirit of building, trust and mutual understanding, both presidents agreed to further strengthen cooperation in the fields of science, technology, education and training, towards establishing the framework of partnership on innovation.
Parmelin assessed Vietnam as an effective ODA using partner, adding that the Swiss Government has decided to continue to provide Vietnam with CHF 70 million (over USD 75.6 million) worth of ODA in the 2021-2024 period, focusing on the fields of environmental protection and economic reform.
At a joint press conference after their talks, President Parmelin described President Phuc's official visit as a new development milestone in Switzerland-Vietnam relations. He affirmed that Vietnam is a priority nation in Switzerland's economic cooperation policy and that the goal of a support program of the Swiss ministry of economy is to help Vietnam’s economy develop more inclusively and sustainably.
He also said that the signing of a free trade agreement (FTA) between Vietnam and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), of which Switzerland is a member, will certainly be effective in the future.
Meanwhile, at a meeting with President Phuc, President of the Swiss National Council Andreas Aebi supported increasing the nations' economic collaboration, particularly soon concluding the FTA between Vietnam and the EFTA, and expressed his willingness to cooperate with Vietnam in innovation.
President Phuc and President Parmelin also co-chaired a Vietnam – Switzerland Business Forum in Bern, with the participation of representatives from over 100 businesses of the two countries.
Also in Bern, President Phuc met with Mayor of Bern Alec Von Graffenried and received former Swiss President Schneider Ammann, and Honorary Consul of Vietnam in Switzerland Philipp Roesler, who is former Deputy Prime Minister, former Minister of Economy and Science and Technology of Germany, as well as leaders of local businesses.
In Geneva, President Phuc met Director General of the U.N. Office in Geneva Tatiana Valovaya, Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO) Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Director General of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Daren Tang.
During the official visit, many bilateral activities took place between leaders of Vietnamese ministries, central departments, and sectors with Swiss partners and U.N. organizations.
- PM Nguyen Xuan Phuc receives US Secretary of Commerce
- Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc greets Chairman of Hana Financial Group Inc.
- PM Nguyen Xuan Phuc to attend ASEAN Summit next week
- Leader’s official visit augments Vietnam-Laos relations: LPRP official
- PM Phuc receives US Secretary of Commerce
- PM Phuc receives Japanese local official
- PM receives President of East Asian Community Institute of Japan
- Contributions to Vietnam-Japan ties by East Asian Community Institute President praised
- PM’s working trip to UN headquarters is fruitful bilaterally, multilaterally: official
- Five trade agreements signed during visit of US Secretary of Commerce
- 14th NA’s third meeting wraps up Q&A sessions
- NA Chairwoman’s IPU-138 participation, Netherlands visit successful
- Chinese immigration officials welcomed in Hanoi
- Top legislator’s France visit to bolster bilateral cooperation
- Deputy PM Vuong Dinh Hue visits Myanmar
- Vietnam Flashbacks: US Navy to Visit Former Enemy for First Time Since War
- Party Chief’s visit charts new course for Vietnam-Cambodia ties
- North, South Korean officials meet to hash out logistics ahead of rare summit
- Trump moves to ease tensions over China, Iran as G7 summit wraps up
- 'Trump is responsible': Beto blames President for the deaths of Salvadoran father and his toddler daughter drowned in the Rio Grande as Democrats prepare for debate by protesting at child detention center
President Nguyen Xuan Phuc wraps off official visit to Switzerland have 680 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at December 2, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.