HÀ NỘI — The Central Institute of Hematology and Blood Transfusion (CIHBT) has announced it is facing a severe shortage of blood which is enough for use only in the next few days without further supplies.
Blood storage now stands at only over 4,000 blood units, according to the CIHBT.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the CIHBT had to cancel or postpone 80 blood donation drives in November with an expected reception of 25,000 units.
When social distancing measures were eased and the nation started to implement the policy of safe and flexible adaptation to and effective control of COVID-19, the number of blood donations improved. However, after the number of new COVID-19 cases has increased recently in many localities, blood donations started to decline.
Director of the CIHBT Bạch Quốc Khánh said the appearance of new cases in localities forced blood donation campaigns to be postponed or cancelled. The CIHBT receives just 300-400 blood units per day while it needs around 1,200 blood units to supply more than 180 hospitals each day.
Meanwhile, blood demand is forecast to increase in the year-end period and during the Tết (Lunar New Year) holidays.
Khánh said an estimated 80,000 units are needed for emergencies and treatment at hospitals between December 2021 and February 2022. But blood donation campaigns could only meet around 60 per cent of the demand, he said.
The situation could be improved with support from the community, he said, urging the community to continue donating blood to support treatment, particularly in southern localities that are facing difficulties due to the pandemic. — VNS
- Ninh Thuan faces irrigation water shortage
- Ninh Thuận faces irrigation water shortage
- UK manufacturers facing biggest worker shortage in 30 years
- Ninh Thuan province faces irrigation water shortage
- Mekong Delta faces severe climate risks
- ‘That’s an order’: PM tells Vietnam Electricity to end power shortage
- Transcript: Correspondents Panel on "Face the Nation," December 29, 2019
- Hà Nội's third fixed blood donation point opens in Đống Đa District
- Millions in Haiti face hunger in 2020
- Water shortages warned as reservoirs run dry
- Vietnam’s chronic disease: doctor shortage in remote areas
- Annual blood donation campaign kicks off
- Việt Nam could face power shortage
- Couple whose 10-year-old son contracted HIV and died after being given contaminated blood say they hope inquiry into 'worst treatment scandal in NHS history' will bring them justice
- Evie Amati seen walking out of 7-Eleven with an axe dripping with blood, witness says
- No power shortages in 2020, PM orders
- Thai Official Warns of Water Shortages Due to Weather, Dams
- UK faces shortage of family doctors
- Shortage of assistant engineers hits routine work in southern parts
- Thai official warns of water shortages due to weather, dams
Nation faces severe blood shortage during pandemic have 445 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.