Vientiane (VNA) – Laos is on high alert for the new Omicron variant, first detected in South Africa on November 24, according to the country's National Taskforce for COVID-19 Prevention and Control .
According to a statement by the Taskforce on November 28, the new variant, also known as B1.1.529, could be much more transmissible than previous variants of the coronavirus.
The Laos Taskforce has urged residents to take extra precautions against COVID-19 , saying that the variant could appear in the population at any time. It has also urged everyone to be vaccinated as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, the Taskforce says it will begin testing to see which variants are present among COVID-19 patients in Laos.
The government and relevant authorities will hold a meeting to discuss the Omicron variant and decide if new measures should be implemented in response to the threat.
The Health Ministry announced on November 29 that the country had recorded 929 new cases in all 18 provinces and cities and seven deaths over the past 24 hours, raising the total number of infections to 72,447, including 166 deaths.
On November 26, Laos approved a booster shot for medical staff working on the frontline to control the virus outbreak in case they have got the two full shots for at least five months./.
- Lockdown exercise rule could be axed as Matt Hancock warns people 'taking the mickey'
- Mass roll-out of Covid vaccines for the over-70s 'could begin NEXT WEEK' - as expert warns BOTH Brazilian variants are 'likely' now in the UK but says current wave HAS peaked
- Lao Cai buffalos die due to cold weather
- Fauci warns there's a 'possibility' US has its OWN Super-COVID and says nation's infection curve now looks similar to UK's where one in 30 Londoners have the virus
- How British scientists found the more infectious coronavirus variant
- Now schools face a 'postcode lottery' for reopening - as top medic Dr Jenny Harries warns it is 'likely' they will return at different times and hints they WILL remain closed until after Easter
- Ontario, Canada, implements stay-at-home order as officials warn of a looming health care system 'collapse'
- COVID vaccines likely effective against new variants, say health experts
- Why is Laos building Mekong dams it doesn't need?
- More people illegally enter Vietnam from Laos
- Britain's coronavirus cases fall again amid 'scaremongering' row: Scientists play down more deadly variant claim and admit it's 'not a game changer' as new infections drop by 18% in a week to 33,552 and deaths rise by 4% to 1,348
- 'The whole country will suddenly develop a dry cough': No10 and Treasury slam Matt Hancock's 'bonkers' plan to PAY people who test positive £500 Covid handouts to 'encourage more swabs'... at cost of HALF A BILLION POUNDS A WEEK
- Dr Fauci warns South African 'super-covid' is the variant to worry about because it may make vaccines less effective and says it is not in the US yet - but admits efforts to find it have been lacking
- Freezing weather impacts on outdoor production activities of people
- Fauci warns of 'more ominous' COVID-19 strains from Brazil and South Africa and says US is looking very closely at whether 'the mutations lessen impact of vaccine' - as he reveals Johnson & Johnson and Oxford shots are 'weeks away from approval'
- More infectious UK 'super-covid' variant could become THE dominant strain in the US by MARCH and trigger a massive surge in coronavirus cases and 'result in more deaths,' CDC warns
- Up to HALF of people who've already had Covid may still be vulnerable to South African variant because it can 'escape' the immune system, scientists warn - and it could also evade vaccines
- How many people catching Covid each day in YOUR area? Interactive map reveals 65,000 people are getting infected each day in England - but that the outbreak has now plateaued
- Covid RECAP: PM warns new mutant strain deadlier than original virus
- Matt Hancock blasts influencers sunning themselves overseas as he warns 'no parties in Paris' or 'weekends in Dubai' as tighter travel restrictions loom
Laos warns people against Omicron variant have 665 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.