She received the shot on Saturday morning as part of the city’s campaign to vaccinate people under 18, and developed a high fever by night. Her family gave her fever medicines but to no avail.
She was taken to the Thuong Tin District General Hospital and soon transferred to Bach Mai Hospital, Hanoi's biggest medical facility, but she died on Sunday morning, Nguyen Viet Binh, chairman of the district’s Nhi Khe Commune, said.
Vu Cao Cuong, deputy director of the city Department of Health, told VnExpress Monday that the cause of her death has yet to be identified.
“The department will review this vaccination incident within today.”
The Ministry of Health’s Expanded Program on Immunization Office said it would speak to the media after discussing the case with experts.
Hanoi began vaccinating children on Nov. 23, and worked its way down to 14-year-olds on the 27th. It has immunized 276,816 children so far.
The ninth-grade girl is the second teenager to die following Covid-19 vaccination in the country.
Also on Sunday a 16-year-old boy in the northern Bac Giang Province who had received a Pfizer vaccine four days earlier was also confirmed dead.
The cause of death has been identified as anaphylactic shock.
More than 2 million children aged 12-17 have been vaccinated in 30 provinces and cities, or more than 23 percent of the demographic.
Vietnam has approved the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines for children 12-17.
- Readers sound off on coed classrooms, vaccines and 'Sesame Street'
- Lifeguards rescue girl, 10, from rough surf
- News readers pour their hearts out for Jay Snyder, Manhattan dad whose wife died after giving birth to twins
- Voice of the People for June 19, 2011
- HPV infections on the decline since cervical cancer vaccine was introduced: CDC officials
- Flu season nearing peak as death toll climbs; Texas reports 19 dead from illness
- HPV vaccination for boys recommended by CDC; Health experts believe rates will fall if boys and girls receive vaccine
- HPV vaccine doesn't encourage girls to have more sex: study
- Too few U.S. youth getting vaccine for sexually transmitted virus: CDC
- Nevada girl, 5, dies from flu strain she was vaccinated against
- Fewer kids getting vaccines; Parents opting out of school shots due to fears, paranoia, laziness
- Wisconsin sisters say HPV vaccine caused ovaries to stop producing eggs
- Heartbroken Mother: Healthy Teenage Son Died After Routine Flu Shot
- Wisconsin mom: ‘Did HPV vaccine kill my 12-year-old daughter?’
- Pfizer meningitis vaccine wins U.S. approval
- NAU sophomore dies of meningitis infection that began with sore throat
- Horst Faas, Pulitzer Prize-winning combat photographer who covered many wars, dies at 79
- Texas mother dies of flu at age 29, was otherwise healthy: report
- CDC Warning: Even Healthy Children Can Die From Flu Complications
- Ebola patient in Dallas hospital dies
Hanoi girl dies after Covid-19 vaccination have 440 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.