ROTTERDAM — Netherlands forwards Steven Bergwijn and Memphis Depay struck late to send their country into the 2022 World Cup with a 2-0 home victory over Norway on Tuesday as Group G winners.
Bergwijn hammered home a right-foot shot in the 84th minute that flew into the net to the relief of the home side and Depay made sure of the points as he clinically finished a breakaway after being set up by Bergwijn deep in stoppage time.
The Dutch will return to the finals, hosted by Qatar, after missing out on the 2018 tournament in Russia but with little conviction after limping through their last two qualifiers.
They had been eight minutes from securing early qualification on Saturday before giving up two goals to draw in Montenegro but Tuesday's victory in an empty stadium due to COVID-19 restrictions was enough to top the group.
The Netherlands finished with 23 points from 10 games, two more than Turkey, who won 2-1 away to Montenegro to secure a playoff spot. Norway missed out by ending third with 18 points.
The Dutch dominated possession and had several half chances with Depay their most enterprising player.
But they also played with an edgy approach, eager to avoid mistakes that would allow Norway to snatch the game away.
|Soccer Football – World Cup – UEFA Qualifiers – Group G – Netherlands v Norway – Feyenoord Stadium, Rotterdam, Netherlands – November 16, 2021 Netherlands players celebrate qualifying for the Qatar 2022 World Cup. Photo: Reuters|
"I think we had the game under control for the entire 90 minutes. The players executed our plans perfectly," said coach Louis van Gaal.
"It was deserved in the end," added Depay. "We had it in our own hands. It wasn't our best game but nobody cares about that now."
The Norwegians, without injured talisman Erling Haaland, would have had to win to secure a top-two finish and showed some enterprise in the last quarter but they still failed to get any efforts on target.
"It was dangerous at 0-0 and we had to be careful but we were solid at the back," Depay told Dutch NOS television.
Depay's 12th goal of the campaign tied him with England's Harry Kane in the European qualifying scoring charts.
The absence of fans did not help the home cause.
The game was played behind closed doors at De Kuip after the Dutch government at the weekend barred spectators from major sporting events for the next three weeks in an effort to contain a rapid surge in COVID-19 cases.
Van Gaal was also missing from the dugout. He fractured his hip falling off his bicycle on Sunday and sat in a wheelchair in the VIP area, high in the stands, communicating via mobile with his assistants on the bench.
- France End Winless Run, Scotland Revive World Cup Hopes; Portugal, Netherlands Win
- FIFA World Cup European Qualifiers odds, picks: Proven expert reveals best bets for Wednesday, September 1
- Netherlands vs. Turkey: World Cup qualifying live stream, TV channel, how to watch online, news, odds, time
- Mario Mandzukic retires as Croatia star serves up reminder of World Cup woe for England
- FIFA World Cup Qualifiers: Australia Set Record Beating Vietnam, Japan Bounce Back from Oman Loss
- How the United States Missed the World Cup, Minute by Minute
- Ireland rescue late World Cup qualifying draw against Serbia thanks to comical own goal
- El Salvador 0-0 USMNT: Three things we learned from World Cup qualifier
- FIFA World Cup Qualifiers: Sadio Mane Scores as Senegal Win, Algeria Held by Burkina Faso
- Gianni Infantino set for Flight Mare as Fifa’s travel plea to Boris Johnson to save World Cup qualifiers is nonsense
- As World Cup qualifying starts, USMNT embraces Concacaf’s dark arts
- Jamaica vs. Panama odds, picks, how to watch, live stream: World Cup Qualifying best bets for Sept. 5, 2021
- Ghana primed for one giant leap into World Cup aristrocracy
- Hungary 0 England 4: Sterling and Kane lead rout as Southgate’s men stay on course for World Cup in hostile atmosphere
- Italy Set Unbeaten Record, Germany and Spain Top FIFA World Cup Qualifying Groups
- El Salvador vs. USMNT: World Cup qualifying live stream, TV channel, how to watch online, news, odds
- Gareth Bale shows why he is one of Wales’ greatest with hat-trick in must-win World Cup qualifier
- Michael Schumacher loves football and made 2006 World Cup draw alongside Pele
- History man Ronaldo saves Portugal as France held in World Cup qualifying
- El Salvador 0-0 United States: USA held to open final round of World Cup qualifying
Dutch qualify for World Cup as Bergwijn, Depay grab late goals have 740 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at November 17, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.