The plan follows an earlier offer for nearly two million doses of the shot that the reclusive state had rejected due to concerns over side effects, according to a South Korean think-tank.
South Korea's unification ministry which oversees engagement with the North said on Tuesday it appears detailed distribution arrangement has yet to be made, as Covax continues to engage with Pyongyang.
The allocation is part of its plan to distribute 43 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine and Moderna's Covid-19 shot by the end of December, as Covax aims to ship up to 1 billion doses in total this year.
Co-led by the World Health Organization (WHO), Covax has since January largely allocated vaccine doses proportionally among its 140-plus beneficiary states according to population size.
North Korea and Eritrea are the only countries that have yet to start their vaccination campaign against Covid-19, according to the WHO.
North Korea has not officially confirmed any Covid-19 cases, a position questioned by South Korean and U.S. officials. But it has imposed strict anti-virus measures, including border closures and domestic travel curbs.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had said in June that the failure to implement measures to tackle the coronavirus had caused a “great crisis,” according to state media.
By Nov. 11 North Korea had tested at least 45,564 people for Covid-19 with no positive results, according to the WHO.
- COVAX allocates 4.7 million AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine doses to N. Korea
- Việt Nam receives final shipment of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines in 30mln deal, more are coming
- Vietnam receives final shipment of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines in 30mln deal, more are coming
- Vietnam receives 500,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses donated by Argentina
- US donates over 4 million more COVID-19 vaccine doses to Vietnam
- China promises 1 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses to Africa
- China to provide Vietnam with $3mn aid, 500,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses: Wang Yi
- France offers Vietnam 1.4 million more COVID-19 vaccine doses
- US donates two million more COVID-19 vaccine doses to Vietnam
- US donates 2 more million COVID-19 vaccine doses to Vietnam
- US donates over 2 million more COVID-19 vaccine doses to Vietnam
- Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar Among Top 5 States With Over 10 Crore Unused Covid-19 Vaccine Doses
- Hanoi child passes away after getting Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine dose
- S'pore to administer over 2 million Covid-19 vaccine doses over next 2 months: Ong Ye Kung
- Cumulative COVID-19 vaccine doses administered cross 92.60 crore
- Probe Launched Against New Zealand Man Who got 10 Covid-19 Vaccine Doses in a Day
- All Maryland Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Local Health Departments Have Gotten COVID-19 Vaccine Doses, Hogan Says, But Vaccinations Lag
- China's Xi offering another 1 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses to African nations
- Sinovac, AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccines given conditional approval for use as boosters
Covax allocates 4.7 mln AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine doses to N.Korea have 427 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 30, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.