Hanoi (VNA) – ASEAN member countries and Canada have agreed to launch negotiations on a free trade agreement (FTA) during the ASEAN Economic Ministers (AEM) – Canada Consultation which was held virtually on November 17.
The event was co-chaired by Mohd Amin Liew Abdullah, Minister at the Prime Minister's Office and Minister of Finance and Economy II of Brunei, and Mary Ng, Minister of International Trade, Export Promotion, Small Business and Economic Development of Canada.
The FTA is among economic priorities in the ASEAN Chairmanship Year of Brunei.
The ministers tasked officials to develop a work plan to take forward the negotiations as soon as possible.
They discussed the trade and investment situation in the region amid the COVID-19 pandemic and the Canada- ASEAN Business Council (CABC)'s recommendations to strengthen bilateral economic cooperation.
The ministers also exchanged views on measures to respond to COVID-19 impacts on the economies of the regional countries, and reaffirmed commitments to continue seeking ways to reduce the pandemic's impacts.
They also underlined the need for global cooperation, including the ensuring of access to vaccine supplies in an equal, safe and efficient manner.
At the meeting, Vietnam and other ASEAN member countries welcomed contributions by Canada to the COVID-19 ASEAN Response Fund to promote a stronger economic recovery from the pandemic.
Vietnam actively engaged in the discussion and gave proposals on cooperation orientations between ASEAN and Canada in the time to come to ensure the smooth circulation of goods and services, reinforcing regional supply chains amid a changing global economy and negative impacts of COVID-19./.
- Vietnam prepares for ASEAN Chairmanship
- VN vows to help expand ties between ASEAN and partners
- Free trade agreements: What is an FTA and what are the benefits?
- Vietnam – Customs Union to sign FTA in early 2015
- 34th ASEAN Summit opens in Bangkok
- Interview: Upgraded protocol of China-ASEAN Free Trade Area brings "visible and tangible" benefits: Chinese ambassador
- Asean may soon conclude review of FTA with India
- Concerns over Viet Nam-EU FTA signing
- China, Thailand agree to advance ties, jointly promote regional connectivity
- US Attempts to Pull ASEAN Nations Away From China - Journalist
- Chairman's Statement of 26th ASEAN Summit issued
- Commentary: China, ASEAN determined to forge closer community with shared future
- India decided not to join RCEP in national interest, reviewing other FTAs: Piyush Goyal
- Mike Pompeo visits Islamabad: Can the US and Pakistan reset bilateral ties?
- Kim Jong-un launches third missile in a week after boasting about new weapon
- Trump administration sues California over cap-and-trade agreement with Canada
- Korea Talks May Fail to Lead to Reunification as Major Obstacles Remain
- Iran sanctions: Does US 'Plan B' on Iran risk war?
- RCEP – important milestone in Vietnam’s international economic integration process
- Why Abbott should dump Free Trade Agreements
ASEAN, Canada agree to launch bilateral FTA negotiations have 458 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at November 17, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.